Ashburton Grove

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Ashburton Grove

Post by silverfox »

'Dumb' tech question

On the Holloway diagram what are holes? shown A B C D etc for?
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

silverfox wrote:'Dumb' tech question

On the Holloway diagram what are holes? shown A B C D etc for?
They illuminate when a train is standing on that particular track circuit.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

StevieG wrote:I might like to think that Ashburton's diagram went to York, but I honestly don't know.

RP, the 'creep-up' joining the main line, which was your question I think, is seen on your Holl.N.Up diagram : It is the "Up Carriage", with No. 74 facing trap points (normally closed) just beyond the Home, from where trains could reach any Up line, including use of No.80 Home signal lever and stencil route indication to reach the Up Fast. (Ironically, if you look at the track layout and its home signal details, you will find that the UF could NOT be reached from the intervening Up Coal line - best that could be done from there was to the Up Slow, then go Up Slow --> UF at South Up box.)
Now you may be puzzled by the trailing points further back on the Up Carriage line, seemingly in no-man's land?

Now I never saw this used as such, but those were the top end sprung points, or possibly sometimes known elsewhere as '1-way handpoints', of an in-section run-round loop, not controlled by any box : The bottom end (two points) can be seen on the linked-to SRS website diagram of Ashburton.
Seems to me that ECS trains for King's Cross were probably hauled from Holloway Carriage Sidings to Fins. Park No.2, then allowed to propel along the "Up Carriage"/'creep-up' past Ashburton box and onto the slope, stop in-section, and run-round, using that sprung/hand points loop arrangement (3 sets of point switches in all), and then draw forward to, and away through, Holloway North Up.
It does make sense for the spring points to be used like this. I will have a trawl through what i have and see what locking, if any, is on the acceptance levers. I wonder if 14 needed to be off before 15 could be pulled? That would make sense for a propelling move.
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

rpike,
thanks for the reply.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

R. pike wrote:It does make sense for the spring points to be used like this. I will have a trawl through what i have and see what locking, if any, is on the acceptance levers. I wonder if 14 needed to be off before 15 could be pulled? That would make sense for a propelling move.
Good diagrams of Fins.Pk. 1 (the 2nd diag.) and Holl.N.U., RP. I think that's how No.1 was when I first got to see in, in about '69/'70.
And I see from that former one that my memory on No.1's frame size was defective : It was 60, not 65.
I'm pretty sure that 14 did release 15 : AFAIR, 13 & 15 were actually called Distant indicators, same as No.1, and that all 3 levers were yellow.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

An interesting area.
Last edited by Mickey on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
lemmo
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by lemmo »

I too am fascinated by this area, thanks for all the info here.

Perchance does anyone have Finsbury Park No.2 box diagram, I think also known as Clarence Yard?

:)
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

One of my notable absences that one..
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I liked Finsbury Park No.2 although apart from the box containing a Dutton lever frame from a picture that I have seen I don't know much else about the box although I believe that it sometimes 'switched out' maybe on Sundays?.
Last edited by Mickey on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
macduff
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by macduff »

I good look through my collection and came across the photo of FP No 2 diagram. it is an old photo and i have no idea when it was taken.
Attachments
Finsbury pk 2.jpg
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

macduff wrote:I good look through my collection and came across the photo of FP No 2 diagram. it is an old photo and i have no idea when it was taken.
What a lovely gem you have there macduff. Thank you v.m. for sharing it.
I have seen a sketch diagram that was of the period when this diagram held good, but I'd never seen the genuine article.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
lemmo
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by lemmo »

Thanks macduff, great find... challenging to discern some of the detail, but fascinating trying to work out how movements were signaled in both directions across the running lines.

A year or so ago on eBay there was a series of auctions of large-scale plans of the Kings Cross area, the route from FP up to Wood Green, and Clarence Yard. I've always regretted not buying them, but I kept the auction pics, which are very detailed.

Here's the Clarence Yard ones, I'll post the others in due course:
Attachments
Clarence Yd 1936 1.jpg
Clarence Yd 1936 6.jpg
Clarence Yd 1936 2.jpg
Clarence Yd 1936 3.jpg
lemmo
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by lemmo »

Last two...

...and what I hadn't noticed when I posted these is that the layout alterations are in red laid over the original layout, which I presume is the one corresponding to the signal diagram above. The running lines appear to be yellow, goods purple, carriage/sidings blue. Because it says "LPTB" on the plans, I wonder if the alterations were associated with the works for the Highgate branch and Northern Line extension?

I've added a pic below of the whole area pre-1936, including a bit of Ashburton Grove.

:)
Attachments
Clarence Yd 1936 4.jpg
Clarence Yd 1936 5.jpg
L1210972_1000x750.jpg
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Thanks lemmo.
Last edited by Mickey on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

macduff wrote:I good look through my collection and came across the photo of FP No 2 diagram. it is an old photo and i have no idea when it was taken.

Super picture macduff. I can just make out the up carriage line but can see no reference to what lever 13/15 at Ashburton Grove did.