milk trains

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

paperman
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

milk trains

Post by paperman »

I've been reading 'LNER 150' and there is mention that a milk facility existed at Finsbury Park. Does anyone have any info about this. I'm particuarly interested what date it would have closed. I've read in another book about Welwyn's railways that milk traffic ceased in 1950. Is this right?

Paperman
Jeff
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I don't know about Welwyn specific, but I think I remember reading somewhere that a 'reserve' fleet of milk tankers were built in the 1970s-ish but never used.

Everyone seems to agree that the milk tankers looked awful by BR days - all the dirt and crud over them - not the nice shiny ones you see preserved or in model form!

I do remember someone on the LNER listserver asking about milk trains a few years back. He was researching a book. So there's a treatise on milk tanks/trains in the works if it hasn't been released yet...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I think the chap you are thinking of is Glen someone-or-other, Richard. He did an article in British railway Modelling fairly recently on just this subject. There is indeed a book in the offing though he didn't give a date. He was also a bit coy about the LNER tanker design - perhaps because there isn't as much information as for the other companies. I have had correspondence with David Geen on the subject and he has had trouble tracking down enough information to create a model.
paperman
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by paperman »

jwealleans wrote:I think the chap you are thinking of is Glen someone-or-other, Richard. He did an article in British railway Modelling .

Thanks for the replies, Yes, I've seen this article. It concentrated on details about milk trains from the West. I am trying to establish what year milk trains stopped running at the Southern end of the ECML.
Jeff