Hull Paragon

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Hull Paragon

Post by John B »

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know which large 4-6-2 or 4-6-0 LNER engines would have regularly appeared at Hull Paragon station, especially around the late 1950's? I know about the B1's and B16/2's but would like to know what else reached this area.

I have seen a photograph somewhere of a Thompson or Peppercorn (can't remember which) pacific leaving Paragon with a passenger train.

I have also heard from Columbo that A1's were sometimes to be found in Hull but were sent from York shed as there there were none allocated at the Hull Dairycoates (50B) or Botanic Gardens (50C) sheds.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :D
John B
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Hull Paragon

Post by John B »

Hi everyone,

I have had some terrific help from Tommy Knox who answered this query.

All pacific types (A4, A3, A2 and A1's) worked into Hull, the A4's are recorded as working freight between Hull and Skelton, shame!

My plan is to first move house :( , then start building my model layout :D , I shall buy stock as I go along or when it becomes available :lol: .

Cheers

John
John B
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

The first photograph is a very fine shot giving incontrovertible evidence that large Pacifics did indeed reach Hull Paragon.

This picture is of "Harvester" 60074 at Hull Paragon, the photo was taken by Peter Brumby who has kindly given his permission for me to use it on here.

It is an extremely fine shot, of a very fine engine, (though looking a little tired) in a really fine ex NER terminus. The original booking office in Paragon is permanently preserved and is in extremely good condition.

The second shot is of "Balmoral" 60140 and is also an extremely nice shot. The author/photographer is unknown, otherwise I would acknowledge them here.
Attachments
BALMORAL 600140 LEAVING PARAGON.jpg
BALMORAL 600140 LEAVING PARAGON.jpg (9.09 KiB) Viewed 10691 times
60074 HARVESTER 24 07 59.jpg
(174.65 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
John B
soupdragon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by soupdragon »

y'know. this might sound a little odd, and no doubt someone will put me right on it, but... i was in Hull not so long back, and as you no doubt know theres been a great deal of regeneration work going on around Paragon and the bus station next door, well, the whole of that area really. The new St Stephens complex.

In the process of this work that eyesore of a BR office block that used to stand in front of the station on Ferensway has finally been removed.

Looking at what remained it occurred to me that the front of the station was actually on Anlaby Road.

Its become even more obvious to me now that a lot of the buildings that stood in front of the Anlaby Road frontage have been knocked down as well. (the Tower is still there mind you :shock: what a place that was!!)

Does anyone agree?
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Soupdragon, you are bang on the money there.

I have read this somewhere, I think in one of the two books on Hull railways by Mick Nicholson and Willie Yeadon, god bless them both.

I shall try and look it up for you.
John B
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Soupdragon,

The reference I was seeking is on page 22 of "An Illustrated History of Hull's Railways" By Mick Nicholson and Willie Yeadon, Irwell Press, Huddersfield 1993.

A photo is shown and is captioned as follows " The original 1848 frontage of Paragon Station as once seen from Anlaby Road, a mid 1960's view, it remains much the same today (1993) but the little wooden office has gone"

Hope this helps?
John B
md644
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by md644 »

Yeah, I have to say the demolition has "revealed" the original frontage very nicely.

Incidentally the road "opposite" the station on Anlaby Road was named "Midland Street" after the York and North Midland Railway.
bricam5
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by bricam5 »

(the Tower is still there mind you :shock: what a place that was!!)

Does anyone agree? Quote from Soupdragon

Reminds me of the the old Hull gag
"where is the Bloody Tower?"

"Opposite the f.......g Regent!"
Last edited by bricam5 on Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Footplate ex Botanic Gardens & Bradford GN (Bowling)
Yorkshire born & bred
bricam5
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by bricam5 »

By the way,I used to see the odd Football class in Hull
Also on occasion a Stanier Black 5. I have not seen the black 5's on shed(Botanic) as they used to stand in the stabling road in Paragon yard,nearly opposite West Parade box.

West Parade box was at the start of the "Triangle" where the 4-6-2's had to turn as the Botanic turntables were too small.

Most of this activity used to take place in the summer months with excursion traffic or sometimes a football or rugby special.
Yorkshire born & bred
soupdragon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by soupdragon »

bricam5 wrote:(the Tower is still there mind you :shock: what a place that was!!)

Does anyone agree? Quote from Soupdragon

Reminds me of the the old Hull gag
"where is the Bloody Tower?"

"Opposite the f.......g Regent!"
I was actually asking about the front of Paragon station, but yes, i agree... the Tower was a right den of iniquity wasnt it?

West Parade box was at the start of the "Triangle" where the 4-6-2's had to turn as the Botanic turntables were too small. that would be the triangle just by where the KC Stadium is now i guess?
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

With regard to buildings around Paragon station.
Is the old Timber office building that used to house the divisional Civil Engineer and the S+T office still present under the station roof ?
Or has it been removed?
I had been led to believe it was a listed building.
soupdragon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by soupdragon »

Bryan,

your question intrigued me, so i had a little search about and came up with this list of ALL the listed buildings in Hull

Listed buildings

it would seem that along with all the telephone boxes in Hull, Paragon Station and the Royal Hotel are Grade 2* listed.
I would think theres a good argument that the Civil Engineer and the S+T office, being under the canopy and in the grounds of the station fall under the same listing as the rest of the station, however, im not an expert on this sort of thing.

Comments anyone?
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

I'm not familiar with Hull, but normally when a building is listed it would include all the structures contained within the boundary of the site. Grade 2* is quite a high level of listing and will also cover internal features of the station such as fixtures and fittings, ornamental ironwork and possibly even decoration of individual rooms
bricam5
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by bricam5 »

I am unsure as to where the entrance to Hull Paragon was.
Paragon station was opened on 8th May 1848
( source "The beginnings of the East Yorkshire Railways K.A Macmahon,East Yorkshire Local History Society)

On page 13 of "Lost Railways of Holderness" (Peter Price) There is an undated photograph of Paragon station,which judging by the traffic and the dress of those in the photo,must be around that time.

The frontage on to Ferensway is ornate and the entrance(s) lead straight into the booking hall which suggest to me that this was the intended main entrance to the station.

As a child,my parents always used what was regarded as the side entrance,when they took me to Withernsea,as the then Hessle road tram used to stop at the corner of Osborne St. and Midland St and it was a short walk to this entrance.
Yorkshire born & bred
soupdragon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by soupdragon »

I think the following explains it all... Anlaby Road History

basically:-

1848 Paragon Station opens (3 bay roof), entrance off Anlaby Rd

1851 Station Hotel built for visit of Queen Victoria

1902 Brook St widened and renamed Ferensway,

1903 New passenger entrance from Paragon Square with very smart canopy, booking hall added

1904 Station revamped (now 5 bay roof + cover on concourse)

1905 College of Art opens on land sold off in front of Paragon Station

1914 Tower Cinema built on land sold off in front of Paragon Station

1960 Canopy over Paragon Square entrance demolished and office block added

2007 Office block removed!!!!

I think this picture (lifted from Live Earth) shows it all