Hull Paragon

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

bricam5
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by bricam5 »

Yes,Soupdragon,it does seem to confirm the original entrance as Anlaby road. Looking at the picture from a birds eye view shows detail not normally seen.

Although, I was shocked to see the scaling down of the Paragon yard from what I knew as a fireman in the late 1940's. With axeing of the Hornsea/Withernsea lines and the spur to the H & B at Walton St. I expected some changes but to see a shadow of its former self came as a blow. :(
Footplate ex Botanic Gardens & Bradford GN (Bowling)
Yorkshire born & bred
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

With regard to the timber office buildings I mentioned earlier.
They were situated in the area of top most roof span about 50 yds from the right hand end. If you entered the carpark in the trainshed through the arch in the wall they would be to the left with the parking to the right.
soupdragon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by soupdragon »

I know where you mean Bryan, cant honestly say i recall seeing them tho... sort of thing thats been there so long you don't even notice it anymore.. next time im passing through i'll make a point of looking for them
YNMR
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by YNMR »

The engineers buildings you refer too have been removed as part of the new interchange.
Efforts were made to find a home for them but this was proving difficult even though they were in very good condition because being against a wall they only had 3 sides.
Were they went in the end I do not know.
regards
Graham
md644
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by md644 »

I thought you might find this shot of interest, taken on the day the Interchange opened in September 2007. Buses now depart from behind the glazed archways to the right. Passengers (or is that "customers") can go from train to bus without getting wet!

As far as I can work it out (and I stand to be corrected as I haven't made a detailed study of old/new photographs), the timber buildings covered the area of red brickwork. (There has been much discussion regarding the "mismatch" in colours, apparently it has something to do with retaining "original" brickwork regardless of colour).
Attachments
HullParagon.jpg
(108.75 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

John,

With regard to the first post on this thread, due to PW restrictions, RA9 locomotives could not work between Hull and Doncaster. They could however work to Leeds and so Pacifics appeared at Hull from that direction.

Passenger trains working through from Hull to Kings Cross would set off with a B1 which would be replaced with a pacific at Doncaster. There was a train that ran in two portions from York and Hull respectively. The York section was hauled by a York A1 to Doncaster where the Hull portion was shunted onto the back (or was it the front) of the train which then worked forward to Kings X.

In summer when loadings could be heavy, the portions from York and Hull were worked separately from Doncaster to Kings X. To provide power for the portion from Hull, which would probably have been worked by a B1, York would supply a second pacific, which resulted in the spectacle of a train leaving York, double headed by a pair of Pacifics. This was super power indeed.

Colombo
bricam5
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by bricam5 »

Colombo says "Pacifics could be worked from Hull to Leeds"

I may be out of date here but back in the late 1940's,Hull to Leeds were worked via Selby and RA9 locos' could not use the swing bridge there.

Please forgive me if I find that a route to bypass Selby has been sneaked in without me knowing it
Yorkshire born & bred
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

The swing bridge at Selby that I know was on the ECML and so of course it had to be suitable for RA9. Are you thinking of another swing bridge?

Colombo
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Colombo,

Thank you for your comments, call it deja vu or what you will but I am certain we have had this (still very interesting) conversation before. Colombo itself was one of those A3's who met its' demise in Hull.

It is good to be reminded of things Hull, in my estimation a much negelected yet major area in NER, LNER and BR days. It amuses me to read the many railway books about the north east and yet they get no closer to Hull than somewhere like Malton or Whitby. I need not remind officionados that Dairycoates in it's unrebuilt form housed six turntables and about two hundred locomotives. To say nothing of the one hundred and eighty housed at Springhead.

To have missed the double headed pacifics heading for Donny from York must have been a rare treat for those gricers who saw it, I wonder if anyone can still remember witnessing this?

I am adding something I completed the other day regarding my original question on this thread, I have printed it elsewhere on the forum but think it is also relevant here.

"I have just completed my research into pacifics reaching Hull.

There are 28 recorded, (I now know of at least another two pacifics reaching Hull, an A4 60002 "Sir Murrough Wilson" and the A2/3 60514 Chamossaire, this brings the total to thirty) most pacifics were Neville Hill A3's but one or two nice surprises including several visits by Sir Vincent Raven's City of Kingston Upon Hull as well as Flying Scotsman. There were four A4 visits, three on freight or mineral turns and Bittern in 1960 on a turn and again when in preservation in 1969.

Several Thompson A1's and A2's visited as well as such exotics as 70025 Western Star from Cardiff shed and Southern 34092 City of Wells in 1988 for filming.

I have just completed a full day on the footplate, up at 5.30am cleaning and preparing the engine and from 8.00am to 6.00pm working the passenger schedule, I think I have earned a malt whisky (or two) and a good lie down :wink:
John B
soupdragon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by soupdragon »

Enjoy that malt John, you've earned it
bricam5
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by bricam5 »

Re the bridge on the Hull Selby line.

I was refering to the bridge that crossed the Ouse between Cliffe Common and Selby. The crossing was/is? parallel to the A19 Barlby Rd.
Yorkshire born & bred
soupdragon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by soupdragon »

is this the one?

Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

JohnB,
I would be interested to see your Hull Pacific sitings.

I think that I have seen more Pacifics in East Yorkshire post 1968 than in my earlier spotting days in the late '50s early '60s.
I definitely remember seeing 60086 “Gainsborough” on the 9 o’clock Leeds train in Paragon & I am almost certain that I saw 60081 “Shotover” similarly.
I also remember seeing a couple of A3s on summer excursions through Cottingham, early 60’s.
Pacifics on the Hull – York/Brid line were extremely rare. I have a photo of one passing through Beverley one Sunday evening; I think it was 60038 “Firdaussi”. When I find my old album, I will be able to confirm. My wife has tied it up & it seems to have disappeared of the face of the earth!

The excursions, of course, would take the Hessle Road - Cottingham South line & not visit Paragon but they would certainly enter the city boundaries.
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

The bridge over the Ouse in Selby was crossed by all ECML trains until they built the diversion to avoid the Selby coalfield, so that bridge was suitable for RA9. The diversion also avoided the swing bridge at Naburn, nearer York.

I think that the bridge with the weight restriction is the one at Goole that is on the direct Hull to Doncaster line.

There is a photo of it here: http://www.davidheyscollection.com/user ... bridge.jpg

Colombo