Kings Cross Approaches

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Kings Cross Approaches

Post by CVR1865 »

Happy new year to everyone.

I was lucky enough to recieve Yeadons A4's book from Santa, on p28 on 4491 there is a great photo (one of many) of the approaches to Kings cross, in the background to the right is a station, does anyone know which it is? I'm pretty sure i recognise the general area it is, just coming out of one of the many tunnels on the approach, the a section now disused, to the left of the ecml used today.

I remember also a model of kings Cross from Railway Modeller from the mid nineties that also included a station very close to the cross. Just can't remeber the name...

Thanks for any help in advance.
Simon
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Do you mean York Road? Just outside Gasworks tunnel, to the left as you approach the station? I can't find any photos of it googling quickly but I expect that's the one you're referring to.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

That sounds like the fella. The interweb says that it was a tube station, this one looks like a met line stop, and still appears open in the pic dated june 1937. The tube station appears to have closed in 1932.

York road is the one of the layout i was thinkin of, but that too was a suburban as apposed to underground station.

Simon
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Could be an underground station, as only 42% is underground!

http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/hiddenc/yrts.htm

although now I've looked at it, it would be over one of the tunnels where the York Road Station was.

Anyway, it's a good book, and I'm now after pt 3
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Mark,

i agree the old yeadon's are much better than the new ones, much more personal than the newer editions. I'm after vol 1 at the moment, however the site of where this station was doesn't have any track by it any more. I was at kings cross on friday, coming back to london after christmas, and from what i remember one of the tunnel portals is now disused and i imagine that this was the approaches to this station.

It may well not be outside the gas works tunnel but slightly further north, i'm not totally sure as i tend to avoid travelling from there, prefer Liverpool street.

simon
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

My copy of Part 1 arrived about a week ago. A number of great pictures of A1s lined up at Kings Cross in the 1920s/early 30s, chomping at the bit waiting for their runs north!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I find Vol 1 not as good as vol 2, but that is mostly due to the number of A1/3/10s as opposed the A4, as the A4 Vol 2 book has a double page on each Loco, and a full livery chart for each loco, and Vol 1 doesn't have a livery chart at all.

But non the less it is a good book, and I'm intrigued to find out which A4 it is on page 32 infront of the writtern off 2744.

the best picture in Vol 2 has to be of Sir Ralph Wedgewood, as we've all seen the on the side picture, but not the after pic when it had gotten to Doncaster.

I will have to invest in Vol3 I think, but where from? The NRM has 7 at the earliest!
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

My vol 2 is a new reprint, so page numbers must be a little different, my page 32 is all about woodcock. My favourite is of 4489 as woodcock in the one-off grey livery.

Try mainly trains they have almost all of them its where mine have all come from.

www.mainlytrains.co.uk/
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

which A4 it is on page 32 infront of the writtern off 2744
Is that the picture of the 'new' 2744 being erected at Doncaster? If so it's not an A4, it's Lord President.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Page 32 of Vol 1 sorry

I'll try them then cheers
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Sorry we posted at the same time!

It's the picture of the old one misus tender at Doncaster, behind an A4 with pannels missing and no tender!
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

CVR1865 wrote: Try mainly trains they have almost all of them its where mine have all come from.
Are they all reprints, as my Vols 1 + 2 are second hand, and my Vol 2 came from the Son of an old enthusiast who had passed away and was selling off his collection of books, and in it I got, and I keep it in the book;
The full scale plans for O Gauge, of A3 (35 it says) Windsor Lad, which is a skinley drawing, I include here a photo of it, with a 30cm ruler for scale.

By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

The older ones, my oldest is vol 2, are reprints from 2001. But there are of coarse lots coming out at the moment with the collection going as far as vol 41. You could also try Bill Hudson transport books, some of his may be originals

http://www.billhudsontransportbooks.co.uk/index.html
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Is there any difference to the contents then, if they are just reprints?

From what I remember of the ones I saw in the NRM 18 months ago, they were all softback - the reprints I assume. All the ones I have (all off EBay) are hardbacks with virtually unreadable spines (either that or I've acquired colour blindness!). Hardbacks should be easier to read and reference, but the spines are a problem - two of them I can't tell what classes they cover until I take them off the shelf!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

I didn't know they made softbacks, mine are all hard back with a lovely colour printed dust jacket. The older volumes are quite large and the spine quite chunky so they stand out on the shelf. The A4 book, in Blue, is also all lined out on the spine with red and white just like an A4. The colours of the others seems quite random though, with the GER F classes in a muddy red colour can't understand the logic there.

Do you have many volumes then, I've very much just begun with only 4. That is until my next 2 arrive B12's and A1/3's.