Holmes Yard Coaling Plant

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

J Gleeson
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Holmes Yard Coaling Plant

Post by J Gleeson »

Any information on the LNER built coaling plant in Lincoln would be welcome-especially drawings.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

I've found two images of the Lincoln coaling plant, one dates from September 1937 and shows the coaling plant being built. The other shows the same plant in 1939. As far as drawings are concerned I've found nothing but I hope the images are useful to you.
Attachments
Lincoln Coaler.jpg
(261.69 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
Building Lincoln Coaler.jpg
(241.41 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Steve
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Whilst I do not have any specific information about the coaling plant at the Lincoln shed, I do have some reference books that provide a fair bit of detailed information about other LNER depots. There is a series of three books on GNR engine sheds by Griffiths and Hooper, published by Booklaw and another series on British Railways Engine sheds by Hawkins, Hooper and Reeve, published by the Irwell Press. Volume one covers some ex-LNER depots.

As Lincoln shed was ex-GNR, there should be some information Griffiths and Hooper's second volume, which I do not possess, as yet.

Anyone seriously interested in producing a realistic representation of an LNER depot would do well to have a look at these books.

Colombo
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Steve,

We were both posting at the same time. Your photographs are most helpful. Looking at the photos in the reference books that I mentioned above, the Lincoln coaler is pretty well identical to the plants installed by Henry Lees at Bradford Bowling Junction, Grantham and Ardsley, all in the late 1930s.
However none of these books show a General Arrangement drawing.

Colombo
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

Hi J:

are you by any chance from Lincoln, like me?

I must have seen that coaling plant in the distance hundred of times as a kid, but Lincoln shed was almost impossible to 'bunk' - the only way in was via a footbridge over the River Witham, which of course went straight past the foreman's office!

Ditto the ex-GC shed (later the diesel depot).

Maybe I just wasn't brave enough!
J Gleeson
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by J Gleeson »

Many thanks for the information-although I have the books mentioned, the fact that the plant was built by Henry Lees will be followed up. The other plants mentioned are similar to Lincoln-especially Ardsley. Additionally, any information on the railways of Lincolnshire would be most welcome.