Changes Kings Cross to Wood Green since 1963

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

Re: Changes Kings Cross to Wood Green since 1963

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Micky wrote: " .... but a 'flying junction' at Hitchin?. :shock:

No way. :wink: "
At Hitchin, no. you're right about that Micky.

But site work on a flying junction is actually under way.
The scheme apparently involves a left-hand turn-out (presumably just from the Down Slow) somewhere not far short of Cadwell crossing : Reportedly the connection could be for speeds as fast as 70mph (well if you can get the room to make something longer and better, why make it a slow one that would necessitate trains that have called at Hitchin and accelerated away from a stand, having to slow down again so soon to take the divergence?).

The route then rises and curves right, flying over the main line's four tracks, and continuing right, curving all the way round the north side of Hitchin (Cadwell) industrial-ish area (incl.'g Wilbury Way), while turning north-east, east, and finally a bit south-east-ish, then curving left to join the Down Cambridge beyond Highover Farm accommodation crossing, about halfway between the built-up areas of Hitchin and Letchworth, near Stotfold Road.

I haven't been past Cadwell for a while, but a recent Camb. line trip revealed that the eastern-most bit of the above-described route is already evident, with field soil disturbed along what is either the new rail route itself, or what I think 'construction' boys these days call a 'Haul road' (temporary road/'track' route beside a new railway route, for use of all the construction vehicles and plant).
Last edited by StevieG on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I heard a story from a Guard on the London service once.

The train was halted at a signal on a foggy night, a real old-fashioned pea-souper. The Guard looked out of his window and saw edging stones. He walked along them, keeping close to the train so he wouldn't collide with any impedimenta on the platform. When he reached the locomotive, the driver grabbed him by the collar and hauled him into the cab. The Guard thought the train was in Welwyn Garden City station. It was on Welwyn Viaduct!

Funny thing, he always walked through the train after that.....
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Blink Bonny wrote:Ay up!

I heard a story from a Guard on the London service once.

The train was halted at a signal on a foggy night, a real old-fashioned pea-souper. The Guard looked out of his window and saw edging stones. He walked along them, keeping close to the train so he wouldn't collide with any impedimenta on the platform. When he reached the locomotive, the driver grabbed him by the collar and hauled him into the cab. The Guard thought the train was in Welwyn Garden City station. It was on Welwyn Viaduct!

Funny thing, he always walked through the train after that.....
I heard that one as well BB, a long time ago! Though I'm sure 'mine' featured a fireman ; Yours sounds more believable though.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sandwhich
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by sandwhich »

I know this happened long before 1963 but there was a station called Holloway & Caledonian Road opened in 1852, with the coming of what is now London Undergrounds Piccadilly Line in 1907 and with it the opening of the nearby Caledonian Road and the adjacent Holloway Road underground stations this station was not really needed anymore and closed in 1915 and soon demolished, however the up slow line to the south of Holloway Road had a curve where the island platform once stood and was not straightened out until the resignalling of the 1970s.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

On the 20th November 1976 a Brush type 4 no.47 549 drifts down the Holloway bank on the final mile into KINGS CROSS with the 05:45 from LEEDS. The photograph clearly shows what a dismal mess the G.N.main line unavoidably became during the conversion period.
Attachments
Photograph credited to BRIAN MORRISON
Photograph credited to BRIAN MORRISON
Last edited by Mickey on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I think, at the time, you could still find the entrance to the old station, under the bridge( near where North Down SB was)

I also heard that during excavations on the old station site they uncovered a subway to the booking hall. I thought it had a footbridge !!

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

...both, I think, but at opposite ends of the station.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
sandwhich
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by sandwhich »

I have come across a photo in a long ago magazine of Holloway & Caledonian Road station (also known as Holloway Road) which closed in 1915, the photo shows a Stirling 8ft single climbing Holloway bank taken from the up platform, the train obscures the down platform but shows what looks like a footbridge at the south end of the station.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thesignalman
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by thesignalman »

Micky wrote:The 'Holloway bank' wasn't that particularly wide with (at a rough guess?) about 7-running lines passing through it (down slow no.2-down slow no.1-down fast-up fast-up slow-up carriage(?)-up goods) so it's pretty amazing that they managed to accommodate a down platform opposite the up platforms as well?.
Don't forget that the station was alongside Holloway Carriage Sidings so there was actually plenty of space. The space occupied by the Down Platform had been swallowed up by expansion of running lines and the Carriage Sidings by the 1930s.

John
"BX there, boy!"
Signalling history: https://www.signalbox.org/
Signalling and other railway photographs: https://433shop.co.uk/
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Is this a help Micky, I can't tell if it's up or down !!

manna
Attachments
Holloway.jpg
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.