Book: Railway Memories No. 26 – Steam to Diesel on the GN

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

brsince78
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Book: Railway Memories No. 26 – Steam to Diesel on the GN

Post by brsince78 »

I'm on the circulation list for the Transport Diversions Emporium monthly newsletter. This book caught my eye:-

http://www.transportdiversions.com/publ ... pubid=9102

For the record I am not affiliated to the author, publisher or bookseller.
Last edited by brsince78 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: New Book

Post by 65447 »

It is really unhelpful to title a thread something as uninformative as 'New Book'. You can edit your original post and amend the subject to something more meaningful, and then you might attarct more interest.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

The cover photo looks promising. I wonder if it is a Colour Rail example?

I have only seen a few colour photos of the Baby Deltics in the "white stripe" livery.

(Presumably, I will now be informed that the stripe is not actually white - but you know what I mean).
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

65447 has a point: This is a very anonymous thread. If I was having a bad day you might risk me deleting it out of bloody mindedness!

EVERYONE: Keep titles informative. Titles like "Interesting news", "New book", "Latest model" need a bit more description, please!
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by PGBerrie »

Just out of interest, can you (i.e. the thread owner) change the title of a thread once its up and running?
Peter
brsince78
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by brsince78 »

PGBerrie wrote:Just out of interest, can you (i.e. the thread owner) change the title of a thread once its up and running?
Peter
Peter..... yes you can..... and I have.....
60129 GUY MANNERING
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Book: Railway Memories No. 26 – Steam to Diesel on the G

Post by 60129 GUY MANNERING »

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.Must admit it was the new title of the thread that attracted me.
Regards.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

The 'chaotic' billing of the diesel introduction - as seen in the publisher's link - is still well remembered in WGC, by those now elderly folk who earned their crust in Town at the time. My former dentist who retired about ten years ago used to joke that he had made a lot of money from the consequent tooth grinding at delays, and the straightforward 'rattle everything loose' performance of the Cravens bogcarts.

It was always fairly rough and ready though. My father recalls his first ever experience of the departure from the Hotel curve platform where he had boarded, by another fellow also standing telling him, 'brace yourself'. On the occasions of visits when he gets loose on my layout, he resets CV2 on the N2s to about 20 to get what he sees as the authentic GN suburban steam start...
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

They were too. The electric service though most efficient is just a little soulless. If only we could convince the present operators to have a Doncaster pacific or V2 permanently lurking in steam somewhere between KX and Belle Isle.

Funny story here; a few years ago an A4 was in just such a spot, presumably waiting a steam special working. The young lady sitting alongside me asked 'what's that?' so I explained briefly about Doncaster's pacific development; next question 'when does it go into service?'.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I wish, if they put some ( ALL ) of them back into normal service, I might be tempted to come back to Britain :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Good point, manna. That's one thing about being 'at a distance'. You're able to rekindle fond memories from a book or whatever without direct reminders of things being otherwise outside your front door, so to speak. Granted, this can be experienced within Britain, but being far away somehow seems to give the detachment an extra dimension. In a sense, I suppose it's a variation on the theme of absence making the heart grow fonder. Do any other ex-pats agree with this, or is it just fertile imagination on my part?
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Actually it has always been like that. Dig around in the earlier literature of England, or among the classics of Greece and Rome, and you will find authors forever bewailing the ignorance of the recent past of the young of today. And indeed while I am interested in matters historical, I couldn't tell you how to arrange the yoking of eight oxen on a dark ages plough, and organise getting my sulung tilled in time for spring planting; but our forebears on the land must have known how to do it...