Sutton Donnington

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Merlin
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Sutton Donnington

Post by Merlin »

Can anyone throw any light on the whereabouts of Sutton Donnington?
Attachments
sutton donnington 1965.jpg
sutton donnington 1965.jpg (25.14 KiB) Viewed 5946 times
Merlin
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Merlin,

Census records indicate that this is an old mis-spelling of Sutton Bonington, a location on the Midland main line a mile or so to the South East of Kegworth. Here there is a series of four occupation over bridges in a wooded cutting visible on Google Earth at a point where the four track formation describes a slow S bend which is exaggerated by the telephoto lense.

I think that this is the solution.

Colombo
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

Isn't that class 45 or 46 propelling/towing brake tenders? I've never really understood what they were for - does anyone know?
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Bullhead,

Yes, the loco has got two brake tenders and I agree that it is a Class 45 or 46, with brake tenders as usually used with Class 40s.

The class 40 which were designed principally as express passenger locomotives and were of substantial and heavy construction. However it was found that they were not really fast or reliable enough for ECML and WCML purposes and they were eclipsed by more powerful designs.

The Class 40 generated 2,000 HP and weighed 133 tonnes, 15 HP per tonne. The Deltic generated 3,300 HP and weighed 106 tonnes, 31 HP per tonne. So a Deltic will accelerate far faster than a Class 40.

The Class 40s were well suited to heavy freight duties but a bit short of braking power and so more brake power was supplied.

The brake tender consisted of a pair of old carriage bogies, often Gresley's, under a shortened underframe with heavy weights on it under a suitable fairing.

This combination worked well and the Class 40s had a useful working life as a result.

Here we have a Class 45 similarly employed.

Colombo
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

My recollection of the 45s (sadly, an LMS-inspired design) was on Newcastle-Bristol and Newcastle-Liverpool services in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Like this:
Attachments
45140 with 1750 to Liverpool Newcastle Central 7 June 1985 3.jpg
45 140, Newcastle Central, 7 June 1985
(471.99 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Merlin
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Sutton Donnington

Post by Merlin »

Thanks Columbo, I'll have a look around there and see if I can find the spot where the photo was taken from.
Merlin
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Bullhead,

Thanks for the photo of Newcastle Station. My own model of York Station has been simplified to have only three through roads in the centre, and this had me confused for an instant.

The point motors and ground signals are similar to those at York in the period that I am modelling and I intend to use your photo for guidance. York Station was resignalled around 1951/2.

Colombo
J Gleeson
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by J Gleeson »

Bullhead wrote:Isn't that class 45 or 46 propelling/towing brake tenders? I've never really understood what they were for - does anyone know?
twa_dogs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by twa_dogs »

Are we talking about

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x ... search.srf

Merlin, if you go to have a look at the s-curve site can you post some reference pics on here?

Colombo: do you have the York re-signalling diagram from the early '50s? Or more accurately do you want a copy of it? My great-uncle worked both York Loco SB and the "new" powerbox and i'm sure i have the diagram from the rre-signalling instruction booklet.
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Twa Dogs,

The streetmap is of the location that I had in mind....

..and yes, I would be interested in the signalling diagram of York Station. It must be huge, but I only need it for the up, or south, end of the station.

Colombo
twa_dogs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by twa_dogs »

right i'll try and get an evening on the works scanner and get that copied. I'll give you a shout when i've done it all and pasted it back together. Would a disc be okay?