Signallers piease look at this.

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Signallers piease look at this.

Post by 52D »

Just got this contribution to my facebook page, It came labelled as Tweedmouth emergency panel. Can anyone give further comments please because i dont know what im looking at.
Attachments
TWEED EMERG.jpg
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Mickey

Re: Signallers piease look at this.

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

I did have a Tweedmouth panel in my collection, in fact i still have the console, and i will say this is more like a technicians panel.

Tweedmouth console..
P1224311a.jpg
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Now Mr Pike that is something i do recognise.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

52D wrote:Now Mr Pike that is something i do recognise.
I acquired it from one of the training schools as a source of buttons for my Hitchin panel. I know they are not the right ones but beggars can't be choosers.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

Hitchin Panel. Ex Hitchin relay room and Cambridge Junction..
Attachments
Hitchin panel 3.jpg
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Micky wrote:
R. pike wrote:Hitchin Panel. Ex Hitchin relay room and Cambridge Junction..
Is that really Hitchin??.

Track circuits are normally coloured Blue & Yellow for the UP LINE(S) Green & Brown for the DOWN LINE(S).

That thing reads Down/Up/Down/Up lines even on the 4-track straight road sections although the signals are positioned side by side in the same direction for up & down lines like on G.N. lines??.
Micky,
Your precise expectations of the colours' applications would be fine for railways which do have lines 'paired by use' (Down/Up/Down/Up), but with the long-established practice of (normally) using only four colours, AFAIK the pairs (blue/yellow and green/brown) on any 3-or-more multi-track parallel lines need to be applied alternately, irrespective of line direction, hence what we see on RP's photo of the Camb.Jn. (Telegr. 'KK' :wink: ) panel.
[ Also, have a look back at your 'General Discussion 'forum's "Welwyn Garden City NX Panel 1973-1976" thread ( viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7615 ): for this TC colouring scheme in action, in the photos from DaveGN (15/08/12) and macduff (17/08/12) of WGC panel, and RP's (16/08/12) of Holloway panel.]

If, as on 'the GN', tracks are 'paired by direction'; i.e. two or more lines in the same direction are directly adjacent to each other, it would cause problems in designing TC colour allocations if tracks next to each other were restricted to just the same pair of TC colour choices (i.e., if both Down Slow and Down Fast track circuits could only be coloured green or brown).
There would then be quite a few places where, if the lines did not have the same number of TCs, or they couldn't start and finish in approximately parallel locations, you would come up against situations where, to follow the usual alternating sequence, the TCs covering the two ends of a connecting crossover would end up being the same colour, which is obviously a bad idea!

So, as in KX PSB itself, the blue/yellow / green/brown colour applications are used on alternate tracks - never mind whether they are Down or Up lines -, which (usually) avoids such problem situations.
Very very occasionally though, probably on complex layouts, even following the above real-life solution, 'same-colour' conflicts can still arise, in which case I have known a fifth colour to be used where absolutely unavoidable: Usually orange, or possibly even red; though I've an idea this might have only been on panels of up to the early '60s and/or lever-frame box diagrams.

52D,
As to the original subject of your OP starting this thread, I'm afraid I know virtually nothing about the Tweedmouth area, and although what's in your photo looks like it ought to be railway signalling-related, I've never seen anything quite like it, though I'm not signal engineer-trained, so R. pike's suggestion of it being some a technician's panel of some sort could be right, for testing servicing purposes.
Last edited by StevieG on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

( Content deleted : Post was an erroneous duplication )
Last edited by StevieG on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

I feel like I should re-install SimSig
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Micky wrote: " Thanks for explaining that Stevie i've never really been in a PSB and looked up close at the TCs and there colour designation?. .... "
Micky,
I should have included an extra factor in my last (& long) post, in this part of one of the paragraphs :
StevieG wrote: " .... Very very occasionally though, probably on complex layouts, even following the above real-life solution, 'same-colour' conflicts can still arise, in which case I have known a fifth colour to be used where absolutely unavoidable: Usually orange, or possibly even red; though I've an idea this might have only been on panels of up to the early '60s and/or lever-frame box diagrams. .... "
Rather than use a fifth colour to solve problem-colour situations arising where the usual green/brown, blue/yellow system is used, I think I've also occasionally seen an odd TC coloured using one of the 'wrong' colour pair (where it wouldn't cause a second problem while solving a first one) : E.g., having to decide that a problem TC in a 'blue/yellow' line would be green or brown, or vice versa.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
DaveGN
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by DaveGN »

StevieG wrote: Very very occasionally though, probably on complex layouts, even following the above real-life solution, 'same-colour' conflicts can still arise, in which case I have known a fifth colour to be used where absolutely unavoidable: Usually orange, or possibly even red;
On the Potters Bar panel - we have the 'correct' colours for the up and down lines and a conflicting T/C which would have been blue (into a crossover also blue) coloured pink!
Attachments
DSCN0633.jpg