Signallers piease look at this.

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Signallers piease look at this.

Post by StevieG »

Micky wrote: " .... A railway friend of mine that i use to know in the late 1960s & early 1970s who was once a telegraph lad at WGC (1962-63) and was also a tele-lad at Potters Bar as well told me that this box had s/n telegraph instruments (maybe 2?) but rather then them being of a 1880s/90s G.N.R. wooden type they were of a 'modern design' obviously to fit in with the modern decor although when i visited the box in 1973 i can't recall seeing any s/n telegraph instruments??. .... "
Despite its comparative modernity, PB was indeed well provided with single-needle morse telegraphy equipment Micky.
The lad's desk which was near the right-hand 'wing' part of the main panel, and at right-angles (so the lad faced south), had an S/N concentrator with needle units for about four circuits [and the usual set of 'telephone'-type keys (switches) for circuit selection], and one 'sender' unit, which stood on rubber feet and was connected to the rest by quite a long cable, presumably so it could be moved simply, to be in easy reach of the 'sit-down' signalman on Nights (when there was no 'Lad' rostered).
The S/N equipment was non-standard though : In a 'nod' to look suited to fit into it's 1950s-style surroundings, all the needle units had white faces behind the needles instead of the usual mid-dark green, and the wooden-cased sender unit had a completely semi-circular shaped top.

Quite possibly by '73, as the S/N system had been gradually falling out of use from about 1970 (mainly I think with the influx of signalmen borrowed from 'oop north' to alleviate a chronic shortage of London-area signalman to keep enough of the boxes manned, without training them up on 'the needle'), the telegraph equipment was perhaps removed along with the original panel.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deepol
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Deepol »

Tweedmouth box when new with Deltic passing by.
BR photo.
Attachments
TweedmouthSignalbox.jpg
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
dave55uk
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by dave55uk »

In 1971-2 and possibly later, Cambridge telegraph office had a single needle instrument, connected to the circuit between Royston and Hitchin. If any of the boxes wanted us (Cambridge) they used to ring KM on the needle - and we telegraph bods would ask whoever was on the switchboard to go onto the circuit to connect them with whoever they wanted. Conversely, if someone calling the Cambridge switchboard wanted one of the aforementioned boxes, the switchboard person would ask us to ring that box on the S/N, and then they would come on the circuit phone. Just a pity traffic between us and them was quite low, so never really got totally proficient at the needle.
cambois
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by cambois »

Belford was also the same style as Tweedmouth. Panel at Tweedmouth looked out to the east. A pretty impressive view!
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

cambois wrote:Belford was also the same style as Tweedmouth. Panel at Tweedmouth looked out to the east. A pretty impressive view!
Similar style but metal construction. Here are my photo's taken in the boxes (and my) heyday.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinzac55/3317516386/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinzac55/3 ... otostream/
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Re Belford i imagine counting from the north thats Crag Mill Crossing, Belford Crossing then what appears to be a controlled footpath then another crossing Newham or Lucker then another smaller crossing a farm crossing perhaps. Its many moons since i was up that way have i got them correct.
52A has a rather sad story from a newspaper of Fenham an unmanned crossing further north, i must agitate him to post it.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
cambois
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by cambois »

Great photo of the panel 52D - you set my memory working

I think the order would be north to south (left to right on the photo) Fenham (resident crossing keeper) Smeafield (CCTV), Crag Mill (CCTV) just at the north end of the loops, Belford at the south end of the loops, a set of red/green lights then Lucker (CCTV) and Newham (resident crossing keeper) Box to the north - Beal, to the south Chathill. Staffing arrangements as of 1980. I think the red/green has gone now and so have the residents - replaced by CCTV

The red/greens were a long walk down the track to check their functioning OK including the phones. I still remember the thrill of a new 125 passing through with the noise gradually increasing in the otherwise quiet countryside, then receeding as it went off into the distance, leaving the lingering smell of hot cooking oil from the resturant car. I also remember seeing the spray coming up off the underside and turning away, but there was no escape - no doubt it still happens when some pushes the flush!!
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Great photo of the panel 52D - you set my memory working
"Cough" :( @PinzaC55
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Cheer up Pinza slip ups happen BTW got sent a lovely pic of you at Riccarton today.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
cambois
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by cambois »

My apologies Pinza - No excuses - just incompetence - Stiill great photos
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

52D wrote:Cheer up Pinza slip ups happen BTW got sent a lovely pic of you at Riccarton today.
Ooh, I thought "I" had never been to Riccarton? :wink:
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »