NRM Buildings

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

NRM Buildings

Post by karlrestall »

Hi all,

I have been looking all over the internet for this information but just cannot seem to find it :x so I thought you might be able to tell me :). I am doing some research about the NRM for my collage assignment and I am wanting to find out the date when the Engine Shed and Goods Shed was built, or when the MPD itself was completed. I have some information in some books that I have at home but I am not at home until the weekend and this assignment needs to be in before then :(.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

For starters, the Main NRM shed;
Opened in 1877 it consisted of Three roundhouses under one roof.
A fourth was added in 1915.
On 29th April 1942, we have the famous air raid, and the shed was badly damaged.
(Gap of quite a few years!)
In 1957/8 two roundhouses were converted to straight sheds, and the remaining two were re roofed and updated, which is what the NRM was before the upgrade to the one turntable.
And for the record, accross the road there's an overflow carpark, and right at the bottom are the containers the wheel came in, and behind these are the remains of a turntable!

See what I can do about the Goods shed accross the road!
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk