Enfield Lock Signalbox

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

locojoe
NER J27 0-6-0

Enfield Lock Signalbox

Post by locojoe »

Does anyone know when the signalbox which was situated on the down platform at Enfield Lock was demolished.
Last edited by locojoe on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ex fireman Enfield & Kings Cross.
locojoe
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Enfield Lock Signalbox

Post by locojoe »

locojoe wrote:Does anyone know when the signalbox which was situated on the down platform at Enfield Lock was demolished.

Photo of the signalbox Enfield Lock down platform.
Attachments
signalbox enfield lock down platform
signalbox enfield lock down platform
BHornsey
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by BHornsey »

Hi Alan.

I can't say for sure. After electrification in 1968 it was retained to work Ordnance Road level crossing.
Control of the crossing then transferred to Brimsdown (along with Northumberland Pk LC & Copper Mill Jcn) when Temple Mills W box closed which would make it around 1986ish (I was a relief signalman in the area at that time). I don't remember at what point after that it was demolished.

Does this help?

Brian
AndyRush
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by AndyRush »

BHornsey wrote:Hi Alan.

I can't say for sure. After electrification in 1968 it was retained to work Ordnance Road level crossing.
Control of the crossing then transferred to Brimsdown (along with Northumberland Pk LC & Copper Mill Jcn) when Temple Mills W box closed which would make it around 1986ish (I was a relief signalman in the area at that time). I don't remember at what point after that it was demolished.

Does this help?

Brian
I have the box reduced to a gate box wef 13.01.1969 and closed completely 08.11.1987, but nothing on its actual demolition date

Andy
locojoe
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by locojoe »

BHornsey wrote:Hi Alan.

Does this help?

Brian
Thanks Bryan and Andy. I live not far from Enfield Lock and someone asked me if I knew when the signalbox was demolished. Thanks to you chaps I can now give him the info.
Bryan a chap who lived across the road from me was a signalman in your area, his name was Alex/Alec Keegan, he liked a drink, did you know him. Alex/Alec died a few years ago, he was a regular in the "Railwy Inn" next door to Enfield Lock station.
Attachments
Alecs local
Alecs local
Last edited by locojoe on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BHornsey
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by BHornsey »

Alan.

I did know Alec quite well; he was at Seven Sisters when I started but lost track of him when I moved out of the area. I'm sorry to here he passed away.

Brian
ChrisCock
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by ChrisCock »

Only just come across this one! The demolition date was 7/8 November 1987. It was there on Friday 6/11/87 when I passed by train but had gone by the morning of Monday 9/11/1987. I assume demolition was to make room for the CCTV camera post etc. when control moved from local to Brimsdown by CCTV on 8/11/1987.