Hello & where do I start?

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Space Rock
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Hello & where do I start?

Post by Space Rock »

Hello all, after years of having an interest in all things Somerset & Dorset I have been inspired to have a go at modelling the LNER/ BR Eastern Region but where do I start? I would like to know of which books videos etc are worth buying to get an understanding and learn about the history of the LNER/ BR (E) and it's constituent companies. I intend to model the immediate post war period and the early Sixties.

Shaun
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

Hi Shaun and welcome to the forum.

I am not usre where in the world you are. I am in York which has a public library with a good selection of books on all railways and the Eastern region in particular. So a good source of books (and free) could be your local library. Other than that, there are hundreds of books you could buy - if your budget is up to it - alternatively, can you give us a litle more direction on your interests. Are you looking for mainline running/branchline running? Also the LNER covered most of the UK - it was nicknamed London and Nearly Everywhere Railway.

If you can narrow down your interests - there are many here who can help you.

Andy
Space Rock
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Space Rock »

Unfortunately I live in the heart of GWR territory and the local libraries are biased that way. I am looking at mainline running south of York but north of Peterborough. I want if possible to set it in 2 time frames & my space is limited to 30'x15' .
I am looking for books detailing the WWII to early diesel period and types of trains train formations & track diagrams. I just want to be able to sit down and watch realistic looking trains going by in a realistic setting.

Shaun
40A
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by 40A »

Shaun,

You could try to get hold of "Triumph and Beyond- The ECML 1939-1959" by BWL Brookbank, published by Challenger publications. It comes in two parts, and I think would give you at least some of the information you are seeking.

Gilbert
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Shaun,
I am looking at mainline running south of York but north of Peterborough. I want if possible to set it in 2 time frames & my space is limited to 30'x15' .
I am looking for books detailing the WWII to early diesel period and types of trains train formations & track diagrams. I just want to be able to sit down and watch realistic looking trains going by in a realistic setting.
Your proposed layout sounds a lot like Wolverhampton MRC's layout "Stoke Summit". Have you seen it?

http://www.wolverhamptonmrc.co.uk/layout/stoke.htm

Colombo