Buffer Beam Marking

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Buffer Beam Marking

Post by 52D »

Was the practice of putting a 3 letter shed code on LNER locos along with the class and running number a la NER style implemented at the grouping or did it come later. The reason for this is to get the detail right on a model for the year 1924. Also would the numbers on the side tanks of a goods loco (N15) be yellow at this time on plain unlined black paintwork.
Thanks in anticipation 52D
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Buffer Beam Marking

Post by mick b »

Do you mean Loco class ? NER Locos continued to use NER classes after grouping.

Black locos would be Yellow
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Sorry Mick i should have made it clearer, i am wanting bufferbeam details for an NBR N15 0-6-2T as of 1924. I cant find any clear pics and im trying to figure what was actually on the bufferbeam then. I know its No.9xxx but at that time would for example have class N15 STM on the bufferbeam as well. I cant seem to find a date when all LNER locos had the class and shed on them.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

no idea re nbr practise. sheds were shown post war
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

In 1924 just the loco number " No (hook) 9xxxx" would have been shown.

The ex NER locos carried their original NER class designation under the number "Class V" etc, but it was not until the mid 30s that the LNER standardised the Class designation and later not long before theWar, added the shed as well. I do not have the dates to hand but they are well documented in RCTS LNER Locos Vo 1.

There were some unusual interim versions including Darligton who put "Class 4-6-2" on pacific bufferbeams when carrying out overhauls.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Thanks Mick and Silver fox, question answered. I have seen a couple of pics with the class 4-6-2 marking.
Jades
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Jades »

I have a vague memory of seeing a picture of another Darlington-painted LNER G.S. class with 'Class <Wheel Arrangement>' on the bufferbeam, but can't remember which it was. Will check Yeadon's, may have been 'Class 2-6-0' on a K3. The reason for identifying with wheel arrangement was that the NER classification system introduced by T. W. Worsdell had finally ran out of letters with Raven's Class Z atlantics.

Oddly, despite them being basically a bigger J27 (NER P3), I don't recall seeing any Darlington-applied classification on J38 or J39-class engines.
Andy W
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Andy W »

I had a very quick glance through Yeadon last night and the painting style adopted by Cowlairs from early 1924 seems to be No and 9XXX on the front bufferbeam with the number on the back of the bunker. Lining was only single line.

Some N15 were shopped at Darlington at this time and they had the "usual" rear arrangement of No and 9XXX on the buffer beam.

I think you need to look through a copy of Yeadon to get an appropriate number for the style you want. To make things even more complicated some locos in 1924 will still be in earlier NBR or LNER liveries.
Jades
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Jades »

I've just checked Yeadon's Volume Eight, Gresley K3 & K4 Classes. As I thought, North Eastern Area did put "Class 2.6.0" on the buffer beams of their K3s. The sixty Darlington-built ones, 17-231, had it put on from new. Darlington continued the practice until the second week of January 1931 after which they received "Class K3" instead. There's a nice picture of an immaculate no. 73 on page 56 which illustrates the placement.

Looking at photos in the Yeadon's for other GS classes, it appears that for classes D49, J38, J39 and V1 Darlington always used the actual LNER classification.

Other works, including Doncaster and Cowlairs, removed the classification from the buffer beams as the engines passed through. It wasn't until March 1938 that putting the classification on the buffer beam was official policy throughout the LNER.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I will keep a lookout for K3s with the 2-6-0 markings as i said before ive seen the 4-6-2 but not the 2-6-0 markings you learn something new every day.
Jades
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Jades »

52D wrote:I will keep a lookout for K3s with the 2-6-0 markings as i said before ive seen the 4-6-2 but not the 2-6-0 markings you learn something new every day.
You (52D) probably know this already, but just to confirm for other readers my quotation of "Class 2.6.0" is a verbatim description of what Darlington applied to the locomotives - full stops rather than the more commonly used hyphens. "Class 4.6.2" on both Gresley LNER A1 and Raven LNER A2 when built by an NER workshop.
AUK 51F
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by AUK 51F »

Hello, sorry for the lateness of this appended question, but was there a specific size for the lettering showing the shed code one the buffer beam, or did it vary between areas? Further, was the font style used a serif or sans serif one? Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
Sir Nigel's secret spacer
> > > You can't beat the distinctive whirr of a Gresley bogie passing at speed > > >
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

From 1938 an instruction was issued for all locos to show on their buffer beam 'CLASS (HOOK) A3' or as applicable in 1 1/2" white Gill Sans caps. Further in 1942/3 the shed was also displayed and the 'Class' dropped so that one loco might have been 'KINGS + (Hook) A3'. These instructions replaced any local markings in use up until then.
AUK 51F
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by AUK 51F »

In what must be the latest reply ever...

Thank you Silver Fox for the information regarding my question on font type for the buffer beam marking etc.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply! That's the problem with us NUR men at 51F, too busy playing dominoes in the messroom and trying to ignore the ASLE&F man sitting alone in the corner reading Gardner's Monthly :D
Sir Nigel's secret spacer
> > > You can't beat the distinctive whirr of a Gresley bogie passing at speed > > >