Barkston Junction

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Barkstonian
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Barkston Junction

Post by Barkstonian »

Hi Strang Steel,
I come from a line of Railwaymen, my great grandfather, grandfather and my dad plus sundry other relations all worked on the GNR or LNER. My wife's mum worked on Grantham station for a while. As a lad I wasn't particularly interested in the railways, taking it all for granted I suppose. I didn't collect engine numbers, though some friends did. I was always impressed by the steam locos when we travelled to & from Grantham, but I really liked riding in the front of a DMU behind the driver to Skeggy, Mablethorpe, Lincoln or Boston. I was impressed by DP1 and I have a blurred B&W snap of it racing through Barkston on an up express, possibly The Elizabethan. I remember the amazing sound & light blue paintwork. I also have a stereo sound recording made at night of a Deltic (I think!) at Barkson South Junction. I became more interested in the railways & preserved steam after Dad died. I wish now that I had taken more pictures & made sound recordings in the box, but sadly it is far too late for that!

Graham