Brake Van & Newcastle Quayside

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Jerseylily
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Brake Van & Newcastle Quayside

Post by Jerseylily »

Can anyone out there advise me on the number of the brake van, and any special lettering that it may have had, that was used on the Newcastle Quayside branch at the time of the switch from electric to diesel motive power? I believe that it was a 20T or 25T TOAD E, and that it had yellow end panels - it was always at the lower end of trains on the line. Apart from that I have no idea, and can't find any decent pictures anywhere -only glimpses.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Quayside Branch

Post by 52D »

A good article with plenty of photos in Railway Bylines vol 11 issue 10 September 2006. No photos of brake van but worth checking out. If required i can scan and send.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Brake Van & Newcastle Quayside

Post by PinzaC55 »

If you get a copy of the book "Railway History In Pictures - North-East England" by Ken Hoole there is a closeup picture of the brakevan there, but no number discernible. It had a coffinlike box on top of the end platform containing extra sand, with a pipe leading to the roof (compressed air?).
billdonald
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by billdonald »

PinzaC55 wrote:If you get a copy of the book "Railway History In Pictures - North-East England" by Ken Hoole there is a closeup picture of the brakevan there, but no number discernible. It had a coffinlike box on top of the end platform containing extra sand, with a pipe leading to the roof (compressed air?).

The "coffin boxes" at each end platform were sandboxes. The "pipe" was a hand-operated rod to control the sand deposition.

The brake van used on the branch from 1944 to 1965 was a RCH design produced by the LMS during WW2 to LMS Diagram 2108, if my memory serves me. Essery's LMS Wagons book is your reference which also provides a drawing. This vehicle ended its days thumped against the buffer stops of the CWS warehouse in the Quayside Yard in 1mid-965 after a runaway.

Prior to this, the brake vans were always the 20-ton vehicles for obvious reasons, with 6-wheel 20-ton versions being assigned in NER days. The NER Brake Vans book provides details.

I sent a letter to Railway Bylines magazine correcting some errors in the article on the Newcastle Quayside branch. My letter also provided details of how the branch was operated. I don't kmow if the letter was published since I didn't receive the courtesy of an acknowlegement or reply. Nonetheless I'd be happy to post the letter here.

Bill Donald
Dublin, Ireland
L&Y Man
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by L&Y Man »

billdonald wrote:
PinzaC55 wrote:If you get a copy of the book "Railway History In Pictures - North-East England" by Ken Hoole there is a closeup picture of the brakevan there, but no number discernible. It had a coffinlike box on top of the end platform containing extra sand, with a pipe leading to the roof (compressed air?).

The "coffin boxes" at each end platform were sandboxes. The "pipe" was a hand-operated rod to control the sand deposition.

The brake van used on the branch from 1944 to 1965 was a RCH design produced by the LMS during WW2 to LMS Diagram 2108, if my memory serves me. Essery's LMS Wagons book is your reference which also provides a drawing. This vehicle ended its days thumped against the buffer stops of the CWS warehouse in the Quayside Yard in 1mid-965 after a runaway.

Prior to this, the brake vans were always the 20-ton vehicles for obvious reasons, with 6-wheel 20-ton versions being assigned in NER days. The NER Brake Vans book provides details.

I sent a letter to Railway Bylines magazine correcting some errors in the article on the Newcastle Quayside branch. My letter also provided details of how the branch was operated. I don't kmow if the letter was published since I didn't receive the courtesy of an acknowlegement or reply. Nonetheless I'd be happy to post the letter here.

Bill Donald
Dublin, Ireland
"The Railway Magazine" of September & October 1947 (it was published only every other month, as wartime paper restrictions were still in force) contained an article on the Quayside Branch, with a map showing its relation to other lines. If I had known about this last year when we were down on Newcastle's Quayside, I would have had a look for any residual details.

L&Y Man
BlythStationLad
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by BlythStationLad »

There's little left in the way of residual details sadly: all track on Quayside itself now removed/tarmaced over, lower tunnel portal filled in. Not sure if inset track still exists further east where the old goods warehouses still stood at least a couple of years ago: may have been developed since.
L&Y Man
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by L&Y Man »

BlythStationLad wrote:There's little left in the way of residual details sadly: all track on Quayside itself now removed/tarmaced over, lower tunnel portal filled in. Not sure if inset track still exists further east where the old goods warehouses still stood at least a couple of years ago: may have been developed since.
Thanks, BlythStationLad! If we go there again, I shall have a scout round.

L&Y Man
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

There is a close up shot of this brake van taken in Sept 1957 of No E 260948 and featured in the Oakwood Press volume 167 The Electric Locomotives of the North Eastern Railway.There are several very good photos of the locos at work.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

There is a mention in this topic...Railway Chat, Old Tyne Wagonway.

Here is a better picture of the point at which the Quayside Branch goes over the top.
Attachments
Vic Tunnel.JPG
billdonald
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by billdonald »

52A wrote:There is a mention in this topic...Railway Chat, Old Tyne Wagonway.

Here is a better picture of the point at which the Quayside Branch goes over the top.
The clearance between these two tunnels was only 24 inches. I think this may be considered a little too close for modern standards.

Bill Donald
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

Can anyone recall a picture of wagons piled up against the warehouse wall (Co-op?) after a run away from the branch?
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

52A wrote:Can anyone recall a picture of wagons piled up against the warehouse wall (Co-op?) after a run away from the branch?
yes they where well splattered against the wall but i dont know what book it was in
billdonald
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by billdonald »

52A wrote:Can anyone recall a picture of wagons piled up against the warehouse wall (Co-op?) after a run away from the branch?
Try Ray Marshall at the Evening Chronicle. He runs their nostalgia Remember When series - and well worth a subscription for us exiled Geordies. A pictue appeared in the Chronicle in the 1964-6 period. Sorry I can't be more precise. Also, it was on an inside, not front page.

Bill Donald
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

The brakevan
Attachments
brakevan 1.jpg
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Here's a nice shot of the 2 ES1 locos http://www.bluebell-railway-museum.co.u ... 8-93-5.htm