Lincoln (Durham Ox/Pelham Street) Junction/Crossing of Old

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Lincoln (Durham Ox/Pelham Street) Junction/Crossing of Old

Post by StevieG »

I have already posted these in the 'Model Railways' forum in a related thread, but just wondered if anyone would more generally like to see this bit of nostalgia here as well. These photos were purchased (undated, and uncredited) from an exhibition side-stall more than 20 years ago.

Looks like the gatemen only pulled the gates as far as necessary for the move to be made (e.g. in the first and last photo here, for moves to/from Central in this case).

Can we imagine the scene if the Lincoln of today had to cope with this crossing and modern traffic levels, as well as High Street crossing? :

Durham Ox crossing, at Pelham Street signal box, Lincoln (before building of the replacement road overbridge, opened June 1958).
Here, the GN east of Central station was crossed by the MR's line from St. Marks station to which there was also a west-facing double-track connecting curve from the GN, in addition, all crossed on the level by a busy road.
Pelham St xing 4, B&W scan, sized.jpg
View, south of West, from footbridge, towards St. Marks station; part of Central station in the right background.

Pelham St xing 3, B&W scan, sized.jpg
View West from footbridge; Durham Ox Junction points below the signal gantry; Central station in background; line to St. Marks station to the left.

Pelham St xing 2, B&W scan, sized.jpg
View, north of West, from footbridge; The Durham Ox stands on the far side of the road junction; Durham Ox Junction points below the signal gantry.

Pelham St xing 1, B&W scan, sized.jpg
View East; the signal box is at left, behind the footbridge; the line to St. Marks station leads off in the right foreground.
Last edited by StevieG on Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Lincoln (Durham Ox/Pelham Street) Junction/Crossing of O

Post by strang steel »

Excellent photos.

They must be dated about 1956 judging by the road traffic. The electric street lights look almost new from the colour of the lamp standards. I don't know when Lincoln lights were upgraded, but I always thought that it was a few years later than that, but memories become blurred.

A fact that I did not realise until recently was that BR 9Fs were banned over the stretch of line which included the crossing.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
AndyRush
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by AndyRush »

The same crossing on 2 June 1911 (photo courtesy Mike Brooks collection)
Attachments
LCX01-01-02.jpg
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

AndyRush wrote:The same crossing on 2 June 1911 (photo courtesy Mike Brooks collection)
Excellent photo Andy; many thanks.
I love the bridge for all the rodding and signal wires : I count at least 25 rods !
It would be interesting to know if it posed an unusual challenge in keeping all their functions in correct adjustment!
I wonder what the item beyond the far right-hand gate is, about 10 feet high, and resembling a bird house on a pole. Not a european-style shunting gong surely?
Last edited by StevieG on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Boris
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Boris »

I think you will find it is taking all the signal wires and possibly point rodding across the road.

If you look at the bottom right of the picture you can see the signal wires comming in at an angle to the top
Last edited by Boris on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
EX DARNALL 39B FIREMAN 1947-55
AndyRush
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by AndyRush »

StevieG wrote:SNIPPED
I wonder what the item beyond the far right-hand gate is, about 10 feet high, and resembling a bird house on a pole. Not a european-style shunting gong surely?
I reckon its a warning bell with a roof over! Here is a blow up from the high res original.
Attachments
GE952detail.jpg
micknich2003
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by micknich2003 »

Copy of K2 61770.jpg
Just found the attached among my collection, how or why I have it, I don't have a clue, but hopefully of interest. Mick.
Intrested in signalling, P Way, loco's and most railway subjects. Keen model maker etc. presently aiming to model part of Hull, Springhead yard etc.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

That is excellent. Date must be around 1950/1, because 61770 left for Scotland after that.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

I think the photos would be early 1956 at the latest, as construction for Pelham Bridge started that year. The Durham Ox pub, togehter with the adjacent houses and businesses, was demolished to make way for the bridge.

The line from Lincoln MR (later St Mark's) was in fact MS&LR (later GCR). The MS&LR initially used the MR station until the GNR reached Lincoln and it was able to use the GNR station (later Lincoln Central). This line was little used until the Newark chord was opened in 1965, the only traffic being exchange goods, light engines to and from Lincoln MPD after St Mark's depot closed in 1959 and the occasional through passenger service, eg the Cleethorpes - Birmingham.

I have read that, until Pelham Bridge opened, freight trains through Lincoln Central were limited to 49 wagons - any longer would require both High Street and Pelham Street crossings to be open at the same time.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Boris wrote:
StevieG wrote: " .... I wonder what the item beyond the far right-hand gate is, about 10 feet high, and resembling a bird house on a pole. Not a european-style shunting gong surely? "
I think you will find it is taking all the signal wires and possibly point rodding across the road.

If you look at the bottom right of the picture you can see the signal wires comming in at an angle to the top
??? : -
StevieG previously wrote:Excellent photo Andy; many thanks.
I love the bridge for all the rodding an signal wires : I count at least 25 rods !
It ould be interesting to know if it posed an unusual challenge in keeping all their functions in correct adjustment! .... "
I reckon its a warning bell with a roof over! Here is a blow up from the high res original.
Indeed it looks to be so Andy. Thanks v.m. - I didn't have time to try zooming in on it when posting, and anyway I don't think that helps : Your work on your original is far superior.
Last edited by StevieG on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

micknich2003 wrote:
Copy of K2 61770.jpg
Just found the attached among my collection, how or why I have it, I don't have a clue, but hopefully of interest. Mick.
Thanks Mick. Very nice scene.
Pyewipe Junction wrote:The line from Lincoln MR (later St Mark's) was in fact MS&LR (later GCR).
The MS&LR initially used the MR station until the GNR reached Lincoln and it was able to use the GNR station (later Lincoln Central).
Many thanks for the more accurate company details Pyewipe.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
lincsrob63
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by lincsrob63 »

Some really great photographs of the crossing in which I have a particular interest currently.

Would anyone have any knowledge of the crossing's correct name as it seems to have been known by both Pelham Street Crossing & Durham Ox Crossing, but I can't seem to find any evidence as to which one was correct.

I have a Bygone Lincoln DVD in which it is referred to as Durham Ox Crossing, and my mother seems to remember it being called the same, but if anyone here can shed any light on this I'd be very grateful.

Rob.
AndyRush
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by AndyRush »

lincsrob63 wrote:Some really great photographs of the crossing in which I have a particular interest currently.

Would anyone have any knowledge of the crossing's correct name as it seems to have been known by both Pelham Street Crossing & Durham Ox Crossing, but I can't seem to find any evidence as to which one was correct.

I have a Bygone Lincoln DVD in which it is referred to as Durham Ox Crossing, and my mother seems to remember it being called the same, but if anyone here can shed any light on this I'd be very grateful.

Rob.
Durham Ox crossing in all the pre grouping records I have seen (including the GNR 1912 Appendix), Pelham Street crossing in the LNER 1947 Appendix. Any attempt to narrow down the renaming would be welcome!

Andy
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

According to 'Great Central East of Sheffield' Volume 1 by Geoffrey Hurst (did Volume 2 ever appear?), it's Pelham Street Crossing and Durham Ox Junction, although in practice I think the names are interchangeable.

Also, on page 77 there is a good photo of the gantry for point and signal rods over the tracks and Pelham Street. It's quite a structure and I wonder if there were any other of the same type.

PS: thanks for the tip about the DVDs, lincsrob. I've ordered all four!
AndyRush
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by AndyRush »

Pyewipe Junction wrote:According to 'Great Central East of Sheffield' Volume 1 by Geoffrey Hurst (did Volume 2 ever appear?), it's Pelham Street Crossing and Durham Ox Junction, although in practice I think the names are interchangeable.
I'm referring to documentary evidence of the official railway name for the level crossing, which may or may not be what it was popularly known as! I'm sure I can carry out a similar exercise for the junction, if need be.:roll:

Andy