Livery questions

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

buckjumper
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Livery questions

Post by buckjumper »

The transition period between LNER and British Railways is not my usual era, so I've been stumped by these questions. Any help appreciated.

Gresley's Dia.111 52'6" gangwayed Full Brake. Would this (eventually) have been repainted crimson/cream to match the rest of the 52'6" stock or treated as NPCS and been simply painted crimson?

Also - unfitted brake vans post-war LNER period: Grey or bauxite?

TIA
Adrian
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Hi Adrian,

Off the top of my head (I will peruse the estimable Brian Haresnape later) the full brakes were painted crimson with the exceptions of those reserved for specific workings (The 'Elizabethan', e.g.). It always seems to be highlighted that these received the crimson/cream livery, implying exception to a general rule.

Brake vans - I'd have thought Bauxite but there seems to be enough general dissent over the colour to make me wonder.
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

Adrian,

By post war do you mean the 3 years that the railways were still grouped or do you mean after this? if you mean early BR days I think they were gradually painted grey from the LNER livery which I believe was bauxite, I don't believe that the livery changed through the war. Moving onto the 52ft 6in brake coach I have an image of the coach in 1968 in maroon livery unlined, this leads me to think that it was classified as a Non passenger carrying stock, so would probably have been maroon from BR's early days.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Karl
Last edited by karlrestall on Sun May 20, 2007 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NYMR Guard
buckjumper
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by buckjumper »

Jonathan - thanks for that, it would make sense.

Karl - thanks too. Yes I was thinking of the LNER colours in the late 40s which remained extant on vans into the early 50s.

Much appreciated.
smudger
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by smudger »

Perusing my books by Michael Harris I can't see any painted in blood and custard.

Alan