british rail timetables 1948/1964

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mr r frear
NER Y7 0-4-0T

british rail timetables 1948/1964

Post by mr r frear »

i am looking for the summer 1959 ecml timetable
any information would be greatly appreciated.
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

Either the Eastern Region or North Eastern Region timetable would do (possibly the Scottish Region as well, I'm not sure).

I assume by 'ECML' you principally mean London to Newcastle and Scotland, but both the ER and NER timetables will show London to Leeds and London to Hull and the ER will show London to Grimsby, in case that's of interest to you.

As far as buying one is concerned, I have amassed a fairly decent collection of BR steam era timetables via eBay, but I have no doubt there are railway bookshops (? Nick Tozer) in the UK that sell them as well.

Summer 1959 shouldn't be too hard to find or too costly.
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

mr r fear,

The attachment is a page from the BR North Eastern Region timetable dated September 27th 1948.

This is a small sized timetable with 132 pages of miniscule printing (god help the typesetter)

If you require information about trains on a specific day of the week, destination or particular time of day then I may be able to help you as it covers all services on ex LNER lines north and east of London.
Attachments
LNER TT.gif
(236.19 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
John B
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

Best place, I have found, for timetables is your local preserved railway shop. I know the NYMR have a brilliant collection at the shed shop, as for others I cannot say.

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

Just to show what's out there - I've just scored a 1948 ER timetable on eBay for 15 stg.