Night Soil Workings

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Cuddie Headrigg
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: Night Soil Workings

Post by Cuddie Headrigg »

Sorry Bryan, it was a typo :oops: Mac spellchecker has a mind of it's own - unlike me. It was night soil, not spoil. My aquaintance explained the workings of these trains as it was a total unknown to me.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Re: Night Soil Workings

Post by Rlangham »

No LNER link that I can think of, but at the Talyllyn Railway there's a certain type of four wheel, iron bodied wagon, with one end about twice as high at the other end - this is the Incline Wagon. These were used on the incline from the Talyllyn Railway down to the village of Abergynolwyn (one of a number of inclines on the railway, the others were used for slate wagons going up to/down from Bryn Eglwys Quarry), the high end being at the downward end of the wagon to stop anything falling out - one of its cargoes being the night soil from the houses of Abergynolwyn
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask