Tweed dock branch

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Tweed dock branch

Post by 52D »

Can anyone help out. I am trying to find recollections and locomotives that worked the steeply graded branch from tweedmouth yard to tweed dock. To get down to river level from the ecml the line had to make two reversals.
Any info will help in constructing my yahoo group friends of 52D.
Thanks
Attachments
tweedmouth.jpg
(322.1 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

From memory, now rusty with time!! I think the branch was only RA2, does anyone have a route availabilty book? This would mean that only the J71 or J77 that were based at 52D, being replaced eventually by the Hunslet brute D2594, would be allowed down to the dock. In the early to mid 60s a type 4 was stabled on the branch end and when the brakes leaked off it ran away down into the first reverse just under the old timber foot bridge, demolishing the buffers and derailing itself.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Wooden footbridge

Post by 52D »

The wooden footbridge was referred to as The Good Apache locally. I can remember a loco running away in the 1960s and coming to grief just under the bridge but i am sure it was a steam engine perhaps some one else can enlighten us.
When I was young we lived opposite Tweed Dock next door to a granary I can vaguely remember 12Ton ventillated vans being turned on wagon turntables in the dock and being pushed by hand into the granary. Other traffic was fuel oil/petrol? which was brought into a wharf on the river not the dock by coastal tankers and wood for allans woodyard.
The rails and wagon turntables still exist under the dockside tarmac.