Lesbury Station

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Lesbury Station

Post by 60041 »

Does anyone have any information on, or pictures of Lesbury Station?
All I know is that it was built by the Newcastle and Berwick Railway, and was opened along with all the other stations between Morpeth and Chathill on 1st July 1847, only to be closed in 1850 following the opening of Bilton Junction (later Alnmouth) station.
Any information would be welcome
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Lesbury station

Post by 52D »

Alan youngs book Railways in Northumberland says; Lesbury survived till 1851 serving Alnwick. The station house now demolished was on the down side south of the bridge on the lesbury - Alnwick road it featured the familliar raised gables and ground floor bay windows. There is a property on the site i dont know if any trace of the station is extant.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Lesbury Station

Post by 60041 »

Thanks for your reply
Alan Young's book is good but it is wrong about the station being demolished - I am sitting in it writing this message! I think he is confusing it with the old Branch End Cottages which stood at the south end of the viaduct and were demolished in the 1960's. The present appearance is just like his 1950's view.
What I really need to know is what other buildings stood on the site when it was a station, and also there is no sign of platforms but they could have been separate from the buildings like some other early stations (possibly on the north side). I would also like to know what sort of signs etc would have been used and the colours that it would have been painted
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

confusion on lesbury station

Post by 52D »

Hi,
just realised i messed up, the site i was thinking of appears on an os map
of 1854 as the Bridge inn, I know where you are coming from. I have some sites in mind that show old maps and will search for more details. Is your house known locally as Lookout.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Lesbury Station

Post by 60041 »

Hi
The site known as Lookout is the farm further up (north east) the track past the old station. The station is located about 150 mtrs north of the Aln viaduct, on some maps it is referred to as Station Cottages.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Lesbury Station

Post by 52D »

Hi,
Just a quick update. no luck yet.
I have looked at three websites that could have possibly helped. Take a quick look at them yourself you might find them interesting. Google the first two 1) keys to the past and 2) communities northumberland. The third site i use when tracing old mine wagonways is multimap this gives an option of a modern map which you can then convert to an aerial photograph. I find i can trace old wagonway routes by crop markings. Research using all three sites has almost completed my survey of the three rail lines that entered Alnwick in the past. If you are interested i can pass on to you what i have.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Lesbury Station

Post by 60041 »

Hi
Thanks for the info.
I knew about the keys to the past site and the Northumberland Communities, but Multimap is new to me. I'll give it a try.
I would be interested in any other info you have about the Alnwick area
Thanks
Attachments
Lesbury Station.jpg
Lesbury Station.jpg (20.24 KiB) Viewed 6150 times
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Alnwick area

Post by 52D »

Hi
I am preparing a post regarding Alnwick and colliery tramways as well as posing a few questions watch for the post.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Lesbury Station

Post by 60041 »

This photo, taken in Sept 2007 makes an interesting comparison with the 1952 picture in Alan Young's book. Apart from the new garage building and the re-built chimney the station looks much the same, but the railway has changed for the worse with the electrification equipment and the unchecked lineside vegitation
Attachments
DSCF0376.JPG
(103.06 KiB) Downloaded 70 times