Railway Contractors

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Iron Duke
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Railway Contractors

Post by Iron Duke »

I am trying to get hold of any information relating to a 1960's - 1970's railway contactor operating in the Grantham area, maybe also further afield?
They were called either Tearsons, or Tersons or a similar sounding name?
Does anyone remember them, do they still exist in some form maybe with a new name?

Thanks in anticipation....

ID
Andy@34F
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Re: Railway Contractors

Post by Andy@34F »

Whilst not having knowledge or experience of this company i did find reference to a Terson Construction...seemingly wound up with massive debts and taken over by BICC - if it's the same company.

http://www.building.co.uk/analysis/a-de ... 31.article
Terson was the next winding-up that I was involved in. This company was bought by the giant BICC, which knew a bit about construction for it already owned Balfour Beatty. Terson was a different cup of tea from Token. Unfinalised accounts were legion. Accounts had presumably been left unfinished because they could not be finalised at a profit and the company was reluctant to show its true losses.
Hope that helps?
Iron Duke

Post by Iron Duke »

Thanks Andy,

This is very useful, I will investigate further.

ID
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Tersons were one of the two major builders, along with Carlton, of the then new town of Stevenage from when it started in about 1949. As a youngster, I well remember the Tersons company buses carrying building tradesmen out from London to work in Stevenage. My dad was one of them.

I believe the name Terson was derived from Car'TER' Patter'SON', a national lorry freight company, a forerunner of British Road Services. How Carter Patterson morphed from a haulage business into a construction company, I don't know.
leebee
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by leebee »

Sorry for the very late reply I have only just joined the LNER E
I started on the railway in 1973 & Tearsons was very heavily used for some years.
They mainly supplied Navvy's (mostly Irish) for weekend relaying jobs
It was a hire and fire existance for the lads so friday they would go to the known watering holes and the foreman would sign them up for the weekend until Monday morning then it was back to the pub with booze and gamble till the next weekend.
Messing facilities for them in my area (London LV st to Shenfield) consisted of a single decker bus with an old boy who's digging days were over so instead he made buckets of tea for the lads and would go around dishing it out on site.with a half a dozen enamled mugs hanging from chains around the pale.
They were real old school navvy's I remember a guy was given a weekly piece work contract in the sidings near our depot loading spoils wagons with clay. He would fill a Mermaid wagon a week with just a shovel (thats 14 tons) all he did was drink water and shovel for 12 hours with the odd fag break.
The injury and death rate was much hirer than the regular BR employees infact the old boy on the bus decided he was cold so left the calor gas cooker running and shut all the windows on the bus when they went to look for him he was a dead as a nit so they went and hired a new old boy .
The local Tearsons foreman who was a full time employee did the hiring and firing used to shout out "ok lads pick up your machines" when it was time to start digging. I remember a regular who would buy a new shirt and trousers on a Monday wear them all week do the weekend job and ruin them then do the same again the following week.
How times have changed
Iron Duke

Post by Iron Duke »

Thanks for your very interesting reply leebee.
Raffy
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Raffy »

Hi, I worked a Site Engineer for TERSONS from 1962 to 1967, one particular project was on East Ham Carriage Sheds, I set level datum's for the track stone for the sleepers and track.
The Connemara Irishmen used boning rods to approximate the stone to a level and would adjust the final levels to the seat the sleepers with the track layers. I had come across them buying new suits for the weekend, wearing all week to work in , then renewing the cycle each Saturday after falling out the pub.after the Saturday half shift, the first recognition of re cycling
Some facts to note re Tersons Railway Division and Group as follows ;-
1. Tersons is derived from Carter Patterson the former haulage firm after WW2, Tersons was formed to deal with the war damage in London
2. The Railway Division was headed by a chap by the name of De-Keyser , his father being a Group main board Director.
3. Tersons became the biggest Building Contractor in the UK, during the 50's and 60's, building Hospitals, schools , Commercial and Housing schemes. As Westminster and Huddersfield, Royal Marsden Hospitals , with Croydon Whitgift Centre etc
4. Sadly their demise was due to loss making LA Housing, they ceased trading at the end of 60's, after being acquired by BICC then MacAlpine
prior to this back in the 50's Tersons were part of the Balfour Beatty, Power Securities Group.
5. The Railway Division constructed the circular Engine Shed structure at Leicester, for the former London Midland and Scottish Railway Company, also many other projects for local and national rail infra structure and services including the superstructures.
In summary, Tersons in their heyday, were no slouches and addressed the many Buildings of importance , enhancing the Capitals and the National skyline., least they be remembered.