Park Siding. ECML spotting venue

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Park Siding. ECML spotting venue

Post by Mickey »

Thanks silverfox for your possible explanation of what I believe I may have seen from my vantage point of Alexandra Palace (Ally Pally) with regards to seeing a steam hauled express racing along the Down fast line between Hornsey and Wood Green in 1964.

With regards to the Finsbury Park area in the 1950s?.

In the late 1950s when I was very young we use to live in Avenell road opposite the Arsenal FC ground until 1960 after which we moved to Muswell Hill anyway back down in Finsbury Park I remember the trolley buses running along Seven Sisters road between Holloway & Manor House in 1962 after which the overhead electrified wires for the trolley buses were removed and during that same time I started junior school down Blackstock road and as for the railway running through Finsbury Park I was always fascinated by looking up at the railway semaphore signals that could be seen from down in the street on Seven Sisters road that turned out to belong to Finsbury Park 4 signal box I found out years later.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

For those of a sensitive disposition please ignore this post

Mickey

Yu mentioning Avenell Road brought back a memory filed way back. Must have been about 1965ish and i was set up on a blind date in the Camden Town area Pleasantly surprised as it was the normal ugly mate but a small lass that resemble Cilla Black, without the voice. Everything went swimmingly and she accepted the lift home to Elfort Road. ( hadn't a clue where that was )
Being the gent i opened the door for her, and gently went for the goodnight peck on the cheek. She was over me like a rash, and i she certainly had deserts disease 'wandering palms'. coming up for breath she said 'Would you like to come in for coffee? Well i was more dragged in and up to her bedsit.I think the coffee was for afterwards as the kettle wasn't even touched. During the ensuing wrestling match!! we finally got into position and i casually looked out of the window and asked'Whats that big building?

Oh she says thats Arsenals Football ground As a long standing Spurs man all the ardour suddenly went on this news 'Wet string and passageway ' springs to mind. and half time was quickly taking, luckily she wasn't a football fan and the rest did us both good lol. However it didn't last long as although the sport in the bedsit was excellent, the thought of being so close to Hades filled me with dread. The only good thing that came out of it was a quick look up now and that 'helped'
Sorry Gentlemen if you did stray to this point I apologise profusely..........

Ron
Last edited by silverfox on Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

Ha ha ha... yeah good one Ron. Yeah the old Arsenal FC ground at Highbury was just a stones throw from our front door back in the late 1950s until we moved as previously said up to Muswell Hill in 1960. I vaguely remember the crowds on a Saturday afternoon when the Arsenal played at home back then because Avenell road would be full of football fans for a while then it was empty again after the game was over. Anyway I wouldn't mind if it was at all possible going back to our old house in Avenell road of 60 years ago for an hour just to have a look around for old times sake.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I know this thread has been quiet for a while, but I found this good picture the other day of the 'Park Sidings'. Also interesting is the rake of close coupled 4 wheel coaches in the background. Enjoy.

manna
Attachments
32731920sBoundsGreen.jpg
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

A cracking shot Manna.

A Down train just north of the station.

A great selection of carriages too.

Thanks,