Working the Jazz

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

So there was space for double today's figures - but much of the capacity was at off-peak times.
I'm assuming that off-peak the trains were half full of that, and the peak ones were full.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

I would imagine with 16 coach trains of 4 wheel stock in the peak and 1200 passengers on board there would be little room to breath let alone sit down. The off peak trains were only 8 coaches so they were half the load but probably quite empty the frequency of service is most amazing, to achieve that in 1920 was really impressive. Today they don't get that.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
locojoe
NER J27 0-6-0

Jazz Trains

Post by locojoe »

During the 1950s the trains from Enfield to Liverpool Street.

During peak periods "Full trains" that's two quint art sets, ten coaches.

Off peak services "Normal trains" were one quint art set, five coaches.

Full trains carried well over 1000 passengers including standing.
Ex fireman Enfield & Kings Cross.
terzal
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Working the Jazz

Post by terzal »

Locojoe

Can't work out how to send you a personal message...

My Dad was on the footplate at Enfield Town, Gordon Hewitt, think from around 1960. Ended up as Driver at Hertford East for many years. Your photo above, EnfieldTown2.jpg, got any ideas when it was taken, or who the guy is? Its a small image, but looks like it could be him...
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

I believe the term "Jazz service" may predate the N7s, only 12 of which were built before the Grouping, so if it refers to syncopated beats we need to listen to the GE 0-6-0Ts and 2-4-2Ts.

The distinctive sound I associate with the N7s, and with Liverpool Street station, is of the Westinghouse pumps. It always seemed strange to me as a youngster that the engines were still puffing even though they were stationary. No other London terminus sounded like Liverpool Street. Another distinctive feature was its two long platform roads that cut right across the concourse, making the easiest route between the old and new stations up over the footbridge (unless you had luggage).

There are some excellent photos of Liverpool Street in "Great Eastern in Town & Country" Vol 2, but to appreciate the trackwork needed to operate the Jazz you should also look at "GER Engine Sheds" Pt 1 by Hawkins & Reeves. It was incredible where the GE was able to squeeze in so many loco stabling points, some with pits and coaling points as well as water columns amidst the tangle of running lines. (You also get plenty there on Stratford shed, but that's another story.)

There's no denying that electrification makes life much simpler, but how boring compared with the challenge of operating the Jazz!

Kudu
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

Kudu, it wasn't the exhaust beats that 'created' the name. IIRC it was due to the coloured bands on the cantrail denoting what class it wss
However thr GNR 2-6-0 class were known as ragtimers,( apologies if wrong class)
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

silverfox wrote:Kudu, it wasn't the exhaust beats that 'created' the name. IIRC it was due to the coloured bands on the cantrail denoting what class it wss
However thr GNR 2-6-0 class were known as ragtimers,( apologies if wrong class)
Without re-reading up on it, I'm sure you're on the right track ( :roll: ) silverfox.

Didn't the 'jazz service' arise as a response to claims of needing electrification, to attempt showing that an efficient steam suburban service could rival the envisaged improved service frequency benefits of electrification, and involved layout redesign at Liv.St. (providing the many engine spurs [in most cases (the 'West side': Plats. 1-8), one for every single, or pair of, platforms]; with facilities), some carefully chosen improvements to the complex mechanical/'Lock and Block' signalling arrangements, and even to the building of the 0-10-0 'Decapod' tank loco?
I believe I've read that the coloured markings (said to be considered as 'jazzy') on carriages were intended to aid the hordes of peak-time passengers to find their carriage/part thereof more quickly in the cause of speedy boarding, thus helping make feasible the anticipated rapid turn-round of the trains. Also involved were quick uncoupling of inward locos, simultaneously with outward loco-ex-spur-onto-the-front movements, and then inward locos following departures closely through the platform and 'out the way' into an engine spur quickly, freeing the platform for another arrival.

For some reason the period of 1919/20 comes to mind as the commencement of the improved service, though I'd be happy to be corrected on that.

As a more modern aside, several of the EMU classes working the GE in the late 1980s were known amongst the staff by certain nicknames (not rude; some amusing), and one of these was the late 1950s/ 1960s generation of EMUs (ending their lives as the 3-car TOPS-Class 305) that were used on working the 'NoL (North of London)' / 'NEL (North-East London)','CEHB (Chingford, Enfield, Hertford, Bishops Stortford)' services, and which were, even until being withdrawn in the 1990s, still known as 'jazz' units.

[ Other EMU 'nicknames' I recall from the early 1990s were 'Dusty Bin' for the 321s, reflecting a motorised dustbin character which featured in the 3-2-1 TV quiz show of the time; and 'Micky Mouse' for the 315s, which I think must have come from an early cab-end livery which featured large black areas around the cab's two front windscreens, on either side of the central coridor connection.]
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
1H was 2E
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 1H was 2E »

Noting what's gone before I can see both arguments BUT
I recall meeting someone from Liverpool St Division about 1970-71 and he said that the services were called Jazz because of the sound; and then made a good representation of someone playing a drum with brushes (?) and sounding like a Westinghouse pump.
I am not a fan of jazz because it often seems to have a very simple drum rhythm repeated without going anywhere (and played by a drummer who gives the impression that he thinks he's VERY clever). However, I can see in this the similarity to the sound made by Westinghouse pumps. Jazz music had a spell of popularity about the time of the introduction of the intensive services. However, my point is that the word 'Jazz' is associated with musical sound and I am not sure of the connection between Jazz and bright colours. I know that people describe bright colours as "Jazzy" (not Jazz) but I think this is more a 50's idiom.
As an aside, I enjoy all the rhythmic sounds of train travel (particularly, but not only, in steam days) and also really enjoy music with heavy beats played loud - rock/punk. Is this unusual?
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Further to my previous post here; a photo of an LNER/BR(E)-style signal box diagram of Liverpool Street West box can be found here : -

- http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwayowen/1 ... 7782450647 [for closer views, left-click on the diagonal 2-way arrow ('View in light box'), then, right-click on the resulting image, and try choosing from the resulting various image size options (I'd suggest trying "Large 2048") : Sincere thanks and respect to PWayOwen for engineering this image.] -

- this box and its neighbouring LS East being superseded by the power signalling of the 1949 signalling/electrification.
Last edited by StevieG on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Micky wrote:One of the Liverpool Street s/boxes (maybe the west side box?) had a back to back lever frame i recall seeing a interior photograph of the box dated circa 1947 i believe many years ago?.
... A frame of 120 on each side in West, Micky. Photos inside East seem fewer and far between.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

I was all around that area (officially) visiting boxes in March 1989, on the Thursday (the 23rd I think) before the signalling changeover to Liverpool Street IECC : This was the last full working day of the old Liv.St./ Beth.Grn. signalling, Micky.

Beth.Grn. box and its signalling was still working normally that day.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted