Crossgates-Wetherby Line: Future Cycle Route?

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Crossgates-Wetherby Line: Future Cycle Route?

Post by richard »

According to the Thorner newsletter, Leeds City Council (on behalf of Thorner) have commissioned Sustrans to carry out a feasibility assessment regarding the opening of the line from Thorner to Cross Gates as a cycle route. It would provide access to other cycleways in the area (Manston, Thorpe Park, and eventually Garforth). Then they would plan to extend in the other direction towards Wetherby.

There will be a presentation in August (sorry don't have details), but they are looking for input from the perspectives of wildlife and railway heritage.
I assume this is through the parish council - sorry, I don't have any contact details.

I'm not sure what there is in the way of surviving railway heritage along that section of the route? I've walked some of the trackbed but that was in the Hetchell Woods area (ie. under "eventual extension to Wetherby"). Clearly those woods have concerns regarding plant and animal conservation. Railway wise, other than the embankment (now a bridleway), only the bridge abutments survive. It would make sense if they rebuilt these bridges in a sympathetic manner using Yorkshire gritstones.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Crossgates - Wetherby

Post by Bryan »

Around 1993-4 during the Leeds - Skipton electrificarion works it was put forward as a potential project to reinstate a railway along this route.
Does this still hold true?
It was proposed to construct a large park and ride facility around the A64 bridge near the garden centre.

Another proposal put forward was to reinstate the Yeadon branch but extended up to serve Leeds - Bradford airport. The main disadvantage of this route was the reversal required at Guiseley. A possible alternative was a link from the Harrogate line at Arthington along the former Otley branch.
I do not know if any of these proposals are still under consideration.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I think it probably fell by the wayside (like most rail plans that involve Leeds!).

Future rail extension to Wetherby makes a lot of sense as it would pass through quite a few dormitory villages. Unfortunately the trackbed has been built on in quite a few places such as Bardsey, Collingham, and Wetherby.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia