Why a North Eastern Region?

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Why a North Eastern Region?

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

Does anyone know why the Railway Executive felt it necessary to split the LNER's English operations up into two regions, when they didn't do the same for the LMS?

After all, they amalgamated them 20 years later, when all that was left of the Eastern Region was a laughable rump end of its original self.

Was it to appease long-simmering NER resentment that had never died after grouping?
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

Could it have had something to do with the ease of operating and that the Northern section of the LNER had many more 'major' stations such as Newcastle, Darlington, Durham and York where as the ex LMS major stations were mainly down South or in the Midlands.

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
Percy Main
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Percy Main »

The Scottish Region was also created out of the LNER and indeed the LMS. I suspect it had a lot to do with keeping management jobs in existence in the former company 'areas'. The NE Region corresponded pretty well to the old NE Area of the LNER.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

Percy Main wrote:I suspect it had a lot to do with keeping management jobs in existence in the former company 'areas'.
That would be my guess, too - a political decision.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?