LNER clipped buffers, was there a reason??

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

LNER clipped buffers, was there a reason??

Post by karlrestall »

After looking at the Gresley coaches at the NYMR today a couple of questions popped up;

1) Was there a purpose for the clipped buffers?
Was it just a Gresley 'thing' so he was different from the rest of the 'Big 4' or did they have a purpose?

2) Why wern't locomotives given clipped buffers?

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

What do you mean by 'clipped buffers'?

Don't recall hearing that term before.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

'Clipped' buffers have part of the edge of the buffer removed, so instead of a round shape they are flat along an edge, as below:

http://www.well-hill.demon.co.uk/lnerca ... CF0003.htm

(From the very interesting LNERCA site which is always worth a visit)

I have to say I don't know why they were used on coaches. On CCTs with end doors, they were used so that a flap door could be opened down onto them and vehicles driven/moved along a train from wagon to wagon. On coaches, I don't believe it's coincidence that they are below the level of the bodywork, but I find it very hard to see a scenario where the buffer is retracted to such an extent that it passes under the body.

IIRC earlier Gresley coach buffers were clipped top and bottom; later ones only at the top.

Non-corridor coaches had round buffers.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

the one in the NRM scotsman story is the same.

http://www.4472.me.uk/photos/pages/story/1040.asp
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

jwealleans wrote: Non-corridor coaches had round buffers.
I thought I had read that somewhere but had not seen any proof of it in action apart from on our resident Thompson CL, which I thought may have had replacement buffers as IIRC it was built in BR days and not actually LNER days.

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

David Jenkinson hints at an answer in his British Railway Carriages in the 20th Century.

Longer carriages needed larger buffers because they could be prone to buffer locking on curves when marshalled with short wheelbase stock.

Some railways adopted oval buffers. If you think about it, it is quite difficult to turn a full size oval buffer on a lathe, but it is much easier to make a large round one and clip off the top (and the bottom). Why clip them? Could it be that large buffers were unsightly and got in the way of the corridors if they extended above solebar height? They were also heavier.

These Gresley corridor carriages also had buckeye couplings which rendered buffers unnecessary and so these were retracted to allow the buckeyes to keep the carriages apart. Continuous rakes of Gresley Corridor carriages should be modelled with retracted buffers and these are available. When I fitted mine with Kadees, I also fitted retracted buffers so that I could use a Kadee with a shorter shank. The carriages at the ends of rakes should have extended buffers.

Colombo
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Clipped buffers are used because when the buffer is in the short position it is at risk of being pushed back into the bodywork. In particular those with rubber springs on the buffers. So the buffer top was clipped off, some other coaches have a recess cut out instead.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

This thread has made me realise that I need to file the tops off my CCT buffers!

One got as far as having decals applied, and I didn't realise...

(the other two are half painted)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Richard,

This thread only applies to Gresley corridor stock with buckeye couplings.

Don't rush into anything rash.

Colombo
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

Some CCT's had clipped buffers. From drawings I know that NER diagram 207 216 and 207 had clipped buffers.

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

What CCTs are they? As per my earlier post, only those with end doors and drop flaps had the clipped buffers.

If they're the Parkside LWB ones then they do need to be clipped - in fact they're almost oval, clipped top and bottom.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

These are the N Gauge ones from Chivers. "RC906 N Gauge LNER Extra Long CCT".

I was sorting out last night and found the instructions and noticed it said to file them - something I missed when I was making them. I also see on the diagram (the same one as is in Historic Carriage Drawings vol.3) that the tops are shorter.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia