4492 Dominion of New Zealand Nameplate

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

conemaster
NER Y7 0-4-0T

4492 Dominion of New Zealand Nameplate

Post by conemaster »

im going to kitbash a hornby live steam seagull to dominion of new zealand. to do this i will put a single chimney and get some fox transfers. just looking on the fox site you can get the name pates in either red or black, im wondering what colour this loco would have had ex works. basically im wanting to model it as new so would have stainless steel lettering and numbers on it and the strip along the bottom of the valances.

also does anyone know of a good way to remove the old transfers off the hornby models as im unsure if meths/thinners may damage the body shell etc.

thanks
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Don't know, but there's a few in the NRM and New Zealand was up on the balcony before they closed it and emptied it, so I don't know where it is now!
Attachments
dominion-of-new-zealand.jpg
(37.74 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
smudger
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by smudger »

I think the nameplates were red originally and black in BR days (not sure about war time).

I read an article in a modeling magazine the other day that recommended Microscale Microsol. Apply, leave on for a few minutes and rub off with cotton buds. I offer no guarantees that I remembered this correctly!!

Alan
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

Model Rail for July has an article about identity changing which may help.
smudger
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by smudger »

Ah. That's the one I meant. Was only browsing in WH Smiths and couldn't remember the name.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I've seen a Staedtler eraser pencil of some sort (intended for ink) recommended recently for removing numbers. This was in reference to recent Dapol 'N' engines.

I found IPA worked well when I had to renumber a Kato diesel (SD90MAC43).

Richard (M)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia