LNER Colour Photographs

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Andrew W
NER Y7 0-4-0T

LNER Colour Photographs

Post by Andrew W »

hi
I have recently obtained two excellent books with colour photographs
of the LNER period .
LNER locomotives in colour 1936-1948 by Ron White &
The Big Four in Colour 1935-1950 by David Jenkinson
i know colour photos of this era are very rare
These are well worth getting if you dont already have them?
Does anyone know of any other books in colour showing this period ?

Regards

Andrew W
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

There was a Backtrack LNER special a few years ago and a Railway Magazine LNER issue which also contained a few colour shots IIRC.

TBH if you've got those two books you've pretty well covered it - it's very rarely that I find a colour picture which isn't in one or other.
Andrew W
NER Y7 0-4-0T

colour photos

Post by Andrew W »

Thanks for replying
i will keep my eye out for those,there is something really atmospheric
about seeing A4s in Silver,Teak And Coronation Coaches etc which
you dont always get in B&W.

regards

Andrew W
Suddaby
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Suddaby »

Hi Andrew,

Most of the colour slides of the LNER period (and for the other pre-Nationalisation companies) come from the Colour-Rail collection. They can be bought as slides - see their adverts in the back of most railway magazines - no web-site I am afraid. There is some amazing stuff in there!

Kevin
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

"LNER 150" by David St.John Thomas and Patrick Whitehouse has a few colour plates - a J24 at York in 1938, a B1 at Carlisle in 1947, a B12 at Kittybrewster in 1948, a B3/2 at Aylesbury in 1938, A1 2548 "Galtee More" at the coaling plant at York North in 1937, 2509 "Silver Link" at Grantham in 1937, and 11 "Empire of India" at Newcastle in 1947.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I think you'll find that all those pictures in LNER 150 (which is nonetheless an excellent book in its own right) are in the two works cited in the OP - with the possible exception of No. 11.
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

jwealleans wrote:I think you'll find that all those pictures in LNER 150 are in the two works cited in the OP.
:roll: Possibly so, but the originator of the post asked, "Does anyone know of any other books in colour showing this period?".
Andrew W
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Andrew W »

hi
Many thanks to all who have replied,much appreciated.
Done a bit of searching yesterday i have been able to find
the Backtrack special on a book suppliers website,its listed
as being the 2nd special,but i am going to try to get both.

Regards

Andrew W
sir visto
LNER N2 0-6-2T

LNER Colour Photographs

Post by sir visto »

The two books by P N Townend - "The A4 Pacifics" (Ian Allan) and "The Colour of Steam - Vol 4 - The LNER Pacifics" (Atlantic) should be essential additions if you don't have them.

Don Marshall
Better steam than CO
crazyhorse
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by crazyhorse »

The photo of 2509 at Grantham in 1937 on the Scotsman has always intrigued me because of the smoke being blown almost horizontally from the chimney. Before I read the caption, I just assumed that it had been taken in winter.

This is on page 53 of Big Four In Colour. The caption gives a suggestion of three dates in June for the photograph, but the internet is a goldmine of information, and, now synoptic weather charts are available from past years.

As a retired meteorologist, I can say with confidence that the date of the photo will be 5th June 1937. There would have been a very strong westerly wind that day.

The other two alternative dates (12th and 19th) are not possible because the synoptic situation could not produce winds of that direction, or speed.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Just seen a selection of colour photos of LNER engines in, I think it was the latest issue of British Rail Illustrated in Smiths
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

Robert Hendry's "British Railway Goods Wagons in Colour" contains a May 1942 shot of K3 2447 ariving at Cambridge with a freight train. An ex-GER tank locomotive shunts in the yard beyond, and the train is passing a motley collection of teak stock. In the distance a well-populated locomotive shed is visible but it's sadly too far away to make out much detail.