Newington Excursion Platforms at Hull

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

YNMR
NER J27 0-6-0

Newington Excursion Platforms at Hull

Post by YNMR »

I do not know if any one can help, but I am trying to obtain any scraps of information about the NER Newington excursions platforms at Hull. I have recently been sent a photocopy of the 1913 NER arrangements for Hull Fair which is quite amazing regarding trains to & from etc, Alot of the trains arrived & departed from Newington Excursions platforms,

Over to you folks - any scraps of information gratefully received.
md644
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by md644 »

I believe Newington station was adjacent to Anlaby Road on the Hessle-Road - Cottingham South branch and only officially existed for a few years, it was originally opened for some kind of festival/exhibition in the area. (1906-1909 springs to mind, but I'd have to check my facts on that as I'm at work now).

Hull Fair is held on Walton Street, adjacent to the Hull-Scarborough branch, maybe you are referring to some kind of temporary station there? [EDIT: re-read your post,if I'm right about the location of Newington, it would probably make sense to run trains to Newington to relieve pressure on the Paragon Station area, it's only a short walk to Walton Street]
VIC HALOM
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by VIC HALOM »

Opened in 1899, closed in 1906.

When the track between Hessle Road and Cottingham South junction was changed to double track, where they crossed Anlaby Road, two platforms were built.

They handled show traffic, mainly agricultural shows including the Yorkshire Show. They closed when trams took over the traffic.

From Willie Yeadons, " More Illustrated History of the Railways of Hull."
Sunday diversions, Shildon water bridge, the cream came to us!
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Have you tried Mick Nicholson? He is certainly a member of the Yahoo LNER group.
YNMR
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by YNMR »

Thanks for the information guys that is very useful :)
YNMR
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by YNMR »

Posted in haste there!! Yeadon is not correct about the closing date as the NER traffic notice I have a copy of is for October 1913 & the platforms are still in use for Hull Fair then, plus I have seen some notes from Ken Hoole in which he says they were out of use by WW1 but might have been used a couple of times after that.
The only thing I can think is that if Yeadon is right about the "official" closure date they must have continued in use after this even though they were closed, I am aware of other stations where even though they were closed they were used for excursions long after.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I put this onto the Yahoo LNER group and had the following response:

1a. Re: Newington Excursion platforms, Hull
Posted by: "Mick Nicholson" micknich2003@yahoo.co.uk micknich2003
Date: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:12 am ((PDT))

I have a signalling plan of Newington dated Aug 1899 (BoT Inspection) this shows the platforms and a 12 lever frame and Gate Wheel, one spare lever. The NER "Frame Record Book" ref to 9 working levers and 3 spare, so obviously compiled after show siding removed.

Waterworks box 9levers 7w 2s, is called "Show Yard Siding" in NER "Frame Records Book" now 9 levers 5w 4s. States Dispensed with "Ma" 21 1906.
Obviously from information that has now come to light the platforms remained in use long after the sidings were lifted. Mick Nicholson.
YNMR
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by YNMR »

Thanks for that, I actually joined the LNER Forum on Yahoo after you suggested it & I saw the reply. If I come across any more info I will post it.

regards