New Barnet North Signalbox

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: New Barnet North Signalbox

Post by StevieG »

Mickey wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:24 pm Right I know what it is Stevie I am using the word 'slotted' signal when you are using the correct description a 'transferable arrangement' between both boxes.
( P.S. The Up Slow to Fast Home was never involved, as that of course needed operation of the FPL & points, so could only be worked when South was in-switch.)
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

StevieG wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:05 pm
Mickey wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:24 pm Right I know what it is Stevie I am using the word 'slotted' signal when you are using the correct description a 'transferable arrangement' between both boxes.
( P.S. The Up Slow to Fast Home was never involved, as that of course needed operation of the FPL & points, so could only be worked when South was in-switch.)
Yes I was just basically describing that the Up slow line semaphore stop signal that was carried on a bracket post and stood just off the end of the Up slow line platform at New Barnet had another semaphore stop signal slightly lower to it's right that read from the Up slow line to Up fast line for those that didn't know of course Stevie the 'turn out' points and FPL was worked by New Barnet South box.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Mickey wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:09 pm
StevieG wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:05 pm( P.S. The Up Slow to Fast Home was never involved, as that of course needed operation of the FPL & points, so could only be worked when South was in-switch.)
Yes I was just basically describing that the Up slow line semaphore stop signal that was carried on a bracket post and stood just off the end of the Up slow line platform at New Barnet had another semaphore stop signal slightly lower to it's right that read from the Up slow line to Up fast line for those that didn't know of course Stevie the 'turn out' points and FPL was worked by New Barnet South box.
Fair enough Mickey. I wasn't sure how much detail you already understood.

A small detail of curiosity : Did you know, or have you ever noticed from a numbered diagram ? All of Barnet South's FPL levers were next left of their points levers, even those on the Up lines whose FPLs were really on the right-hand end of their points.
So the US-UF 'turn-out' points were 34 but the US FPL was 33.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

StevieG wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:18 pm A small detail of curiosity : Did you know, or have you ever noticed from a numbered diagram ? All of Barnet South's FPL levers were next left of their points levers, even those on the Up lines whose FPLs were really on the right-hand end of their points.
So the US-UF 'turn-out' points were 34 but the US FPL was 33.
No Stevie I've never seen that but it is interesting. I liked New Barnet South box although I never visited it but I believe I read on here years ago that the box may have been a bit heavy going for a signalman to work at?. I don't know if that statement was correct?.

Going back to 'slotted semaphore signals' you may already know Stevie that an interesting example once existed between Acton Wells & Acton Canal Wharf that was worked by both boxes but I would rather not go into details on this topic thread about New Barnet North Box because it would be better off being posted on the North London line thread.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

No worries Mickey : Yes I knew about the AWJ/ACW slotted signal in 1970, thanks.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

That last NX panel they installed in New Barnet North Box that worked between 1973-1976 that was a very long panel as it could be seen especially from trains departing the Down slow line platform at a relatively slow speed on passing the box. I wonder if that NX panel is still in the New Barnet relay room?.

Just about the time that I was leaving WGC box in February/March 1974 they were on the verge of closing Hatfield No.2 and it's NX panel so the New Barnet NX panel would work with he WGC NX panel (which worked with Langley Junction NX panel) anyway the method of communicating between all three signal boxes was via a single stroke block bell for each line being the Up slow, Up fast, Down fast & Down slow lines also the S&T telecoms installed previously a telephone worked via a slide in card circuit and state of the art telecoms equipment back in 1973-74. No Train Describers being provided back then between the boxes so the book (train register) was best kept up to date especially at WGC where some Down passenger trains running along the Down fast line passing New Barnet were 'turned in' off the Down fast line and onto the Down slow platform line at WGC.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I was always a little bit more interested in New Barnet South Box as opposed to the North Box because during 1967-1970 the South Box still had quite a few working semaphore signals as opposed to the North Box plus I liked the look of the box and where it was situated between the Down fast and Down slow lines a fair distance south of New Barnet station platforms. I vaguely recall being told by a relief signalman called Mo Canter that New Barnet South Box was a 'heavy job to work' I presume because it had six running lines (2 goods lines, 2 slow lines & 2 fast lines) to deal with constantly so I presume it was a matter of always pulling off levers/signals for approaching trains or putting back levers/signals behind passing trains plus a lot of work on the block instruments with both New Barnet North Box and Oakleigh Park boxes so consequently not much 'sitting down' time in between trains?.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Some time around 1968 New Barnet North Box, New Barnet South Box, Oakleigh Park, Cemetery & New Southgate boxes were all re-painted in what I thought was a very nice colour scheme by B.R. All five boxes were painted in a beige colour (sandy yellow) with the window frames picked out in white and the box door was possibly a brown colour from memory?..

Beige https://www.drodd.com/images16/beige5.jpg

New Barnet South Box featuring the aforementioned colour scheme possibly taken around 1969/70?. StevieG originally posted this photograph so I believe it is 'his' photograph. Hope it is ok with you to re-post it Stevie?.
https://www.lner.info/forums/download/f ... &mode-view

New Barnet North Box at the end of it's life in 1976 featuring the above colour scheme paint job- https://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/03 ... 6ce773.jpg