End of the line

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: End of the line

Post by silverfox »

Mickey

Please try and log on now and again. and thankyou for all you tales over the years.

One thing about retirement is that whilst you think you have more time to 'do those things' you will find you have less!! don't ask how it happens!

Stay healthy

Best swishes

Ron
giner
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by giner »

Blimey, Mickey, can't believe it's taken this long for me to get onto this thread (too busy telling jokes on the 'made me smile' thread, I suppose. (What was that old euphemism, LNE - Late and Never Early.)

Jokes aside now, let me add my sincere congratulations on your retirement - talk about a job well done. I wish you the proverbial long and happy retirement. I bet you'll be finding some time to be hanging around stations, railway locations, etc. In the blood, innit? And, as the others have said, keep chiming in on here, you're always an interesting read. All the best.
Mickey
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Mickey »

Thanks Ron & giner and others and yeah I am still posting most days of the week from a I.T. cafe in central London in the heart of the west end. £3 for 1-hour a bit steep but it passes an hour.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Hatfield Shed »

The first day of the rest of your life! Congratulations on managing a fifty year career through the various transitions that the industry has been through.
Mickey wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:04 pm ... I am still posting most days of the week from a I.T. cafe in central London in the heart of the west end. £3 for 1-hour a bit steep...
It is steep. Even at every other day of the week you will burn through over £500 in one year at the current price, and prices are only going one way. Buy a modest laptop or a tablet, and pay for an internet connection, and you should be saving money relative to the IT cafe by the end of your second year in retirement. We pensioners need to look out for each other...
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Mickey wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:16 am LAST DAY TODAY.

STARTED ON BRITISH RAIL ON MONDAY 17th JULY 1972 AND FINISHED ON NETWORK RAIL ON FRIDAY 1st APRIL 2022

A few recent photographs were taken of me in the box during mid-March which hopefully I shall be obtaining shortly and will try and post them.
Only just logged in and found this post of yours Mickey.
Didn't know when your last day was until now.
All the best for the next stage of life for you.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Mickey »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:41 pm The first day of the rest of your life! Congratulations on managing a fifty year career through the various transitions that the industry has been through.
Mickey wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:04 pm ... I am still posting most days of the week from a I.T. cafe in central London in the heart of the west end. £3 for 1-hour a bit steep...
It is steep. Even at every other day of the week you will burn through over £500 in one year at the current price, and prices are only going one way. Buy a modest laptop or a tablet, and pay for an internet connection, and you should be saving money relative to the IT cafe by the end of your second year in retirement. We pensioners need to look out for each other...
Thank you Hatfield Shed I appreciate your kind words. With regards to paying £3 for one hour in the I.T. cafe yeah it is a bit 'steep' money-wise obviously it is 'west end prices' being only four streets away from Oxford Circus but it's nice and quiet in here 99% of the time ha ha ha...
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
Mickey
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Mickey »

StevieG wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:10 pm
Mickey wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:16 am LAST DAY TODAY.

STARTED ON BRITISH RAIL ON MONDAY 17th JULY 1972 AND FINISHED ON NETWORK RAIL ON FRIDAY 1st APRIL 2022

A few recent photographs were taken of me in the box during mid-March which hopefully I shall be obtaining shortly and will try and post them.
Only just logged in and found this post of yours, Mickey.
Didn't know when your last day was until now.
All the best for the next stage of life for you.
Thank you, Stevie. It did cross my mind a while ago of posting here when my last day would be and then invite on that last day anyone who wanted to visit the box just come up the box for a chat and a look around but then I thought better of doing that after thinking about that idea a bit more which in this 'safety conscious' times that we now live in Network Rail would probably have 'gone berserk' with me and I would have landed myself in a whole heap of trouble plus quite a few people may have shown up as well?. Anyway as it happened my last day in the box was an uneventful shift which was probably the best way it should have ended the same way as it had begun 50 years earlier...
rockinjohn
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Mickey, good man you've "done your time" Hatfield's suggestion makes sense after the initial outlay,maybe a 2nd hand tablet, most folks around would help you set up,well thanks for all the posts & long may they continue, you have given me along with others many hours of pleasure reading the posts thank you.jj
Mickey
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Mickey »

rockinjohn wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:53 pm Hi Mickey, good man you've "done your time" Hatfield's suggestion makes sense after the initial outlay,maybe a 2nd hand tablet, most folks around would help you set up,well thanks for all the posts & long may they continue, you have given me along with others many hours of pleasure reading the posts thank you.jj
I'll still be around jj hopefully for a few more years yet because I like posting stuff on here that I have either experienced in the past or of a railway topic that I known something about.