Driver Tom Blades

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

andydoc
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Driver Tom Blades

Post by andydoc »

gemmablades wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:34 pm Hi, seems my previous post didn't work! I am also a great grandchild of Tom Blades. My Grandad is William Blades, the son of Tom and my mum is Jennifer Blades, William's only child. We are in Manchester. My grandad didn't keep in touch with his siblings at all and my boyfriend has stumbled across this site after seeing a pic of Tom Blades in the Guardian online! I would love to hear from some other descendants of Tom Blades!

Thanks,
Gemma
Hi Gemma, I too am a descendant of Tom, through Ida. But I have William having a Son called Thomas born in 1928 who married Isabella George... :? They had a son called Brian who married Susan and they have a son called Stephen...
andydoc
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Driver Tom Blades

Post by andydoc »

Just to add a little to the Blades genealogy and the Tom story.

Re Tom: I read somewhere in an online LNER site that there was a locomotive that was never right since the day she was built and 'even Blades' couldn't sort her out. Lost the link now, has anyone else seen that? If not I will have to do a deep dive into my vastly inflated google drive!!

Re Genealogy:
I have a reasonably large if possibly dubious in small parts tree on Ancestry.
We are a crazy mixed up bunch as my Nana Rene used to say. Apart from the two brothers marrying the two Purvis sisters, my father is the niece of Ida Blades, my mother's maternal grandmother... now draw that one out!!
I have 5 kids from 2 marriages, neither of which survived my workaholism which nearly killed me off aged 50 with a brain haemorrhage. However, I came up smiling as usual, able to retire on medical grounds, get my pension, and move to Portugal with a new partner...

Anyone interested in more detail please email me at andydoc1@gmail.com