Ron Hawkins Hitchin Yard

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Ron Hawkins Hitchin Yard

Post by Mickey »

Ron Hawkins was a one time signalman at Hitchin Yard box because he mentioned it several times during the short time that I knew him although I am guessing that he was a signalman at the box some time during the 1960s and maybe even during the 1950s anyway I presume that he had possibly come on the railway at the end of WW2 in 1945 like a number of railwaymen had done so back then and who were still on the railways during the 1970s anyway when I met and knew him for a couple of years he was doing the 'lads job' at Welwyn Garden City box after being 'green carded' after a medical and being put on 'light duties' and was already at WGC box when I started there as a telegraph lad coming straight from secondary school at the age of 15 in July 1972 (leaving in March 1974). Ron was a 'nice old boy' from Hertfordshire and he had a easy going way about him with a nice temperament and a sense of humour and I am guessing that he was possibly aged in his early 60s by 1972. Ron was slim and stood about 5'-9'' tall and I can still see Ron in my minds eye now standing at the high desk writing down the block bell times in the train register book with his glasses perched on his nose some 51 years later in 2023.

I presume old Ron passed away many years ago...
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.