Morris Kantor

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Morris Kantor

Post by Mickey »

The first time that I met Morris Kantor or just 'Mo' as he was known to everyone was when I started as a telegraph lad at Welwyn Garden City box in July 1972 and Mo was 'filling in' doing the 'lads job' on the train register book and answering the phones between working as a relief signalman at other boxes around the area. Age wise I would have assumed that Mo was in his mid 50s by 1972 and had possibly come on the railways (the LNER) a few years before WW2 started as a telegraph lad (box lad) because he could read the GNR 'single needle telegraph instrument' backwards like all those 'old timers' could do back then anyway I recall him one day mentioning that he had worked Greenwood box between New Barnet and Hadley Wood stations during the 1950s. Mo was a fairly 'chatty bloke' and I think that he was originally a 'Londoner' and at a guess I would say that he stood about 5'-7'' or 5'-8'' tall and was of a light build and was friendly to everyone that he mixed with. On three separate occasions he invited me to visit him when he was working at several boxes on the area that included Welwyn North, Knebworth and Stevenage North boxes during the 1972-73 era which allowed me to have a go on the (lever) frame in each box!. Also I know that Mo worked Marshmoor box (closed in November 1972) and he may have worked Redhall box between Marshmoor and Hatfield no.1 boxes before it closed around 1964-65(?). Also Mo may have worked Hatfield no.1 but I don't ever recall him working Hatfield no.2 during my time at WGC and Hatfield no.3 had closed in November 1969 and was therefore before I started at WGC box in July 1972 and nor do I think that he signed and worked Welwyn Garden City box either because I never saw him working the box as a signalman but only doing the 'lads job' on the train register book and answering the phones occasionally but not often.
Last edited by Mickey on Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Morris Kantor signalman

Post by StevieG »

'Mo' also knew New Barnet South box Mickey, because the only time I met him was when he came in one day to relieve my 'mentor' Reliefman of that day for the late shift there.
One of my good 'hosts' also told me once that Mo had signed Cole Green box (abolished 1953), with its (as usual, being on a Single Line route) complex procedure to switch in and out.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Morris Kantor

Post by Mickey »

Morris signed Cole Green box on the Hatfield-WGC-Hertford branch Stevie very interesting. Blimey that box possibly closed back in the early 1950s when the passenger service was withdrawn although I believe the branch remained open between WGC and Hertford North for the occasional 'goods working' until the early 1960s so maybe the single line branch was worked with a 'train staff' only between WGC & Hertford North boxes after Cole Green box closed?.

Mo appeared to at least sign virtually all the boxes between New Barnet South box to Stevenage North box and possibly several boxes that haven't been mentioned such as New Barnet North box, Hatfield No.3, Woolmer Green, Langley (Junction) & Stevenage South?. With regards to Welwyn Garden City I am pretty sure that he never signed it because in the 20 months I was at the box as a 'box lad' and 14 months of which it was still a lever frame box I don't ever recall him working the box as 'the signalman' although as previously mentioned by myself he did occasionally do the 'lads job' at WGC or at least during the first couple of months that I was at the box which meant him keeping the train register book up to date and answering the phones and the single needle telegraph instrument. With regards to the 1955 Potters Bar panel box I don't think he ever worked it and again I don't think that he ever worked Hatfield No.2 because I don't ever remember him ever working the box when I was at WGC box although I have a vague feeling that he did work Hatfield No.1 but not very often though.

Morris may have passed away some time around the early 2010s or so I was informed although after I left WGC box in March 1974 I never heard or saw of him again.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.