Flying Scotsman (the loco) Driver

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Wayne
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Flying Scotsman (the loco) Driver

Post by Wayne »

Hi All,

I understand from my great aunt that my great grandfather - George Oxley - was a driver on the Flying Scotsman loco and was involved in one of it's records.

Does anyone have information on which drivers were involved in the numerous records.

Thanks
Wayne.
sfpenny1925
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by sfpenny1925 »

Hello there,

I too also have a relative. My Great Grandfather Harold Bennett who I am told drove the Flying Scotsman at some point in his career.

He also drove the Mallard.

I too would be very interested if there is anyway of finding documentation about relatives who drove the engines.

Thank you
Sophie
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

It is difficult to find a lot of driver/schedule information - it isn't like tracing the captain of a ship.

So you probably won't find specifics, but you should be able to find employment locations grades, and perhaps "typical runs". Try the National Railway Museum Archives at York, and the National Archives at Kew.
Note that the NRM's (York) archives are currently being rebuilt, but the end result is intended to be more accessible.

If the drivers were involved in famous runs, then they'll probably turn up in the railway press - especially in contemporary articles. However, these would take a long time to search.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia