Driver Tom Blades

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Driver Tom Blades

Post by 52D »

Having a little success in this downloading lark here is a small article from the Berwick Advertiser in 1945
Tom Blades.jpg
2511.jpg
also a newspaper cutting reporting the streamlined test runs between Newcastle and Edinburgh. If you look at the bridge i know its not very clear but above the 6th arch is the signal where Terence Cuneo painted the British Railways poster showing a V2 on freight.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

No. 1621 is of course the surviving D17 that I mentioned above. It looks like Tom Blades fired one of the more historic runs. I think the Blades family should get in touch with the NRM! I can see the press release / party already: "Blades family re-unite on the footplate of historic No. 1621" :-)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

AVRs Kenny Middlemist ex Alnmouth shed was photographed alongside No.1621 at Shildon his father drove it in regular service just before withdrawl and eventual preservation. It was used on the Alnwick Newcastle stoppers cascaded down from the mainline. The replacements for No.1621 and others on this duty were just as sexy. Class D20 4-4-0s, Photograph Courtesy Gareth Patterson.
9877990445_0baba11e55_z.jpg
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
wallis11
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by wallis11 »

Hi 52D, thanks so much for persevering with the downloading of the article and superb to see the article you posted (I've printed a copy for my archive) and brilliant that it mentions the BBC programme that was recorded as I have a copy of the letter that Tom was sent by the BBC thanking him for his contribution to this BBC article (see attached below)
Attachments
thomas blades bbc.pdf
(249.34 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
wallis11
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by wallis11 »

Hi 52D, thought you might like to see a few other newspaper articles that the NRM sent me (that were supplied by another family member)
Tom Blades Newspaper Articles.pdf
(809.26 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
wallis11
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by wallis11 »

Hi 52D - last post from me tonight - this is a photo I found in a Ken Hoole book (bottom photo) showing my Great Grandfather Thomas Blades standing next to the Raven Pacific 2400 at Kings Cross ahead of a speed trial
Tom Blades Standing By 2400.pdf
(697.07 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Great stuff i will see if i can find you more.
Hollyrichings2001
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Hollyrichings2001 »

I am also a great great granddaughter of Thomas blades I have one sister, my grandmother is his granddaughter and my mother is his great granddaughter. My mother is in possession of the original newspaper articles.

If you would like to contact us / me my email is hollycharlotte332@gmail.com
charlottewarby81
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by charlottewarby81 »

Hi
My name is Charlotte Warby. My mother was Lavinia Margaret Blades born 1949. My Grandad was Ronald Blades born 1920 and my Great Grandad was Thomas Blades ( 1886 - 1967 ). My Great Great Grandad was Thomas Blades of the Flying Scotsman Fame ( 1864 - 1947 ).
I am wondering if anyone can give me some more infomation and if i have relatives i dont know about.
Please feel free to email me at burton108@gmail.com
charlottewarby81
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by charlottewarby81 »

gemmablades wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:24 pm Hi, I also am a great granddaughter of Tom Blades. I am in Manchester and my mum is the daughter of William Blades who is the son of Tom Blades. They did have a large family although my grandad didn't really keep in touch with his siblings, so i don't know any of the Gateshead/Newcastle family. Would be great to hear more from some other great grandchildren!
Hi Gemma
I am a great great granddaughter of Tom Blades.
My mother was Lavinia Blades.
I am also seeking more info and it would be great to hear from you.
Feel free to email me at burton108@gmail.com
Fairway 2746
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Fairway 2746 »

Hi All,

In trying to catch up on some of the discussions posted I ran across this thread & the photo of Tom Blades. I found the image captivating. It almost seems as if he had just finished a conversation & was returning to some task at hand or about to climb into the cab for departure.

In his his book on A4 Pacifics Peter Coster specifically devotes attention to the men who drove & fired them. I appreciated his reminder that the railway was most importantly about the people who made it run.

Since I may never have the opportunity to tour either of the NRM's facilities, would anyone know if any of the displays hilite the folks, well known & unsung, who "made" the LNER what it was ?

It is gratifying to see those relatives of Driver Blades making contact through this forum. Everyone should have family with whom they can share their experiences.

Very best regards to Tom Blades family,
Bob Luther / Fairway 2746
dickthornton
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by dickthornton »

Hi,
I have just fallen upon this website by chance. My mother was Hilda Blades, the daughter of Harry Blades who was the chief superintendent(?) of the NER when he retired in 1928. He seemed to be the person who tested drivers before they were allowed onto the footplate. Let me tell you what else I remember being told. My mother was brought up at 14 Windermere Street, and her elder brother Harry was killed in action near Arras. His uncle Charlie was a train organiser in northern France during the war, so they occasionally met up. He had several other brothers working for the NER, including Tom - express driver, one who was manager of Immingham docks, and another who was in the offices - a secretary of some sort, but I presume not "the" secretary. There was also a sister and another brother who was a driver with MLNR(?) based in Liverpool. This big railway family hailed from Bushbury, in the midlands, and their father (another Harry?), was driving the London express in 1864(?) when his fireman fell ill. So Harry had to stoke the engine and drive at the same time. The stress and strain were too much for him, and he died on the footplate from trying too hard. I have a contemporary cutting from the Times somewhere reporting this as it was fully described at the inquest. The train started freewheeling down the track, but the fireman had enough left in him to apply the brakes in Berkhampstead station, so a disaster was avoided and no passengers got hurt. The railway company took his children into their care, hence they all ended up with good (railway) jobs. Apparently the brightest of them (William?), was even sent to university at the companies expense.
I have quite a few momentos from my grandfather which I can look out and describe in a list if anyone is interested (please let me know if you are out there!). Also I have a huge book he treasured called The North Eastern Railway its rise and development by W. W. Tomlinson and signed on the fronticepiece H. Dent Locomotive Inspector. It was written in 1914. I have an idea it might be valuable (820 pages!) but there again, how do you find the buyer?
I did once hear that there was a photo of a driver shaking hands with Queen Victoria at Kings Cross before being taken up to Balmoral, but that may be just legend.
Hope you find this interesting and reply, Dick
Lesley Richings
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Lesley Richings »

Hello to all , I am another great grand daughter of Thomas Blades (Hi Rosie) i also saw the programme which showed the framed photo
of him stood in front of one of the wheels, a very handsome man he was. What seems to have gone missing is the large picture of him that
hung in Newcastle railway station that any members of the Blades family travelling from Darlington were told to stand under while
waiting to be met by another family member! York rail museum would like to have the large picture if found, also some original
newspaper cut outs which i have. Lots of phone calls have been made to try and find the picture, does anyone have a clues ??
Lilyching
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Lilyching »

Hi Paul I'm very late in replying to your post but hope you will see this. Hope you and your family are well.
I'm Jennifer, daughter of William Blades, Thomas was my great grandfather who died the year after I was born.
I notice that you say I am on your family tree and I wondered if you would be willing to share it with me as I would love to find out more about my dad's family. We visited rarely but I have such fond memories of my Nanna and my Uncle Freddy and Aunty Ada.
I look forward very much to hearing from you.
andydoc
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by andydoc »

Hi everyone
I seem to be coming late to the party and have an impatient 'stepdaughter' who needs the laptop, however I will post at greater length later. I am the eldest son of Brian Thompson and Patricia Thompson (nee Reed). Patricia's (Pat's) mother was born Irene Nora Thompson, and her mother was Ada (sometimes Ida) Blades, daughter of Tom. I recognise some of your names and will email those who have disclosed their email address. I remember Ada showing me the original newspaper cutting of that photo of Tom by the wheel when I was very young.
Best wishes, "'te ja" fom sunnyish Portugal.
Andy Thompson
andydoc1@gmail.com
Last edited by andydoc on Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.