Run into the Buffers !

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Johnsonsyard
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Run into the Buffers !

Post by Johnsonsyard »

Hi , my grandfather Frederick Hardy was an Assistant Superintendent on the LNER in charge of passenger traffic from York to Berwick till he retired in 1947 . He stared with the NER as an eighteen year old as a clerk at Scarborough station. After 1918 he was sent to Belgium to help reorganise the railways there after the Great War. I have been trying to find his staff records . Although available records are at Ancestry there seems not trace of him. Anybody got ideas of what I should do ?

Regards

Nick
Attachments
My Grandfathers retirement reported in a Newspaper.
My Grandfathers retirement reported in a Newspaper.
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Re: Run into the Buffers !

Post by Seagull »

Hello Nick,

I presume the Frederick Hardy you are looking for was born in Thornton Le Dale in 1882 and married Hannah Rebecca Widd in 1910.
I can find two public family trees for him if that is any help.

I can see on Ancestry the NER records are not shown
Doing a search for the surnamy Hardy in LNER records all the results appear to be for the GNR section only.

While Ancestry has a very good range of records there is still a lot missing

I suggest you may have to go to the National Archives at Kew if you want to look up his staff records as it appears both the NER and LNER records are held there.

NER http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/ ... ?ID=B11784

LNER http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/ ... ?ID=B11732

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Re: Run into the Buffers !

Post by 4812 »

Try the company magazines: staff appointments and transfers were staple text for the NER and LNER magazines. Both are on disc, but be warned - it's quite hard work scanning long lists of names and it would help to have rough dates of appointments. The LNER Society appears to have both available for sale to members.