Doncaster Men- Driver Trower, Fireman Gant & Fireman Bradley

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

ahardy
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Doncaster Men- Driver Trower, Fireman Gant & Fireman Bradley

Post by ahardy »

Dear all,

I wonder if anyone can help me. I'm trying to find any details of three men who were based at Doncaster and were involved in the testing of Cock o' The North.

Driver W Trower joined the railway in 1893 and passed to fire in 1897 and driver in 1911. Other than this I know very little. I have however found another source that states the drivers name for the trials was G Trower.

Likewise I know nothing about Fireman W Gant and J Bradley other than their names.

If anyone has any further details I would love to hear from you.

Cheers

Andy
GNR Genealogist
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: Doncaster Men- Driver Trower, Fireman Gant & Fireman Bradley

Post by GNR Genealogist »

George William Trower was born in 1877 at Southery in Norfolk. In the 1911 census (taken on April 2nd) he is still a 'railway engine stoker', and living in Doncaster. In the 1939 Register he is described as an Express Driver LNER.

Walter Gant was born in Doncaster in 1903 and is with his parents and family in the 1911 census. His father was a fitter at the Plant as was his elder brother George. In the 1939 Register he is described as a Locomotive Fireman (time passed).

J Bradley poses a few more problems. There is a John W Bradley in the 1939 Register living in Doncaster born in 1882 who is described simply as a mechanical engineer. It is difficult to tie this individual down to an entry in the 1911 census as there isn't one in Doncaster. A John W Bradley is listed in the NUR membership records for Peterborough as a "dresser and marker" but has a birth date of 1892. SO, nothing definite there without more info.

Do you have any details linking these men with the testing of Cock o' the North?