Making plans for Nigel.....

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Making plans for Nigel.....

Post by Horsetan »

Would it have turned out differently if they'd put in a Wild Swan :?: :mrgreen:
Attachments
gresley_duck.jpg
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Making plans for Nigel.....

Post by giner »

:lol: Good one, horsetan.

Seems like they're between a duck and a hard place on this one.

Anyhoo, I rather like the inclusion of the little mallard. It's certainly appropriate, plus it adds a bit of whimsy. If some folk are a bit 'stick in the mud' about it, then that's their problem. Maybe they need to lighten up a bit.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I didn't like the duck and I told them so when I made my donation. I think it would have been a target for vandals and probably end up being stolen. Better a statue with a duck than none at all, though. In the end I'm rather pleased they've listened to the family.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

You have a point there Mr. Walleans re. vandals. It's a bloody shame, though, that things get dictated to by the knuckledraggers of society.

Wouldn't the duck have been part of the same casting on the base of the statue - difficult to nick it then. I'm thinking that maybe the photo in the article has been 'dropped out' somewhat.

Anyway, if said knuckledraggers wanted to, they could easily carry out their stupidity on Sir Nigel himself.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

jwealleans wrote:I didn't like the duck and I told them so when I made my donation. I think it would have been a target for vandals and probably end up being stolen. Better a statue with a duck than none at all, though. In the end I'm rather pleased they've listened to the family.
I just found it funny that three Society officers found the Duck Affair serious enough to tender their resignations.....
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

Well, i was going to donate and also try and order one of the miniatures that were being discussed at the last Gresley Soc meeting.
But if the wishes of two outweigh the many who have donated possibly because of the duck, then Aaahm Ooot.

And if anyone from the B17 Loco Trust is on here, can they please advise us when the website will be updated. Everytime i go to it i cant read it for the cobwebs and tumbleweed.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

silverfox wrote:Well, i was going to donate and also try and order one of the miniatures that were being discussed at the last Gresley Soc meeting.
But if the wishes of two outweigh the many who have donated possibly because of the duck, then Aaahm Ooot.
Gresley for some is a bit like the Prophet Mohammed: anything that may be critical of him or deleterious to his memory is completely haram.
And if anyone from the B17 Loco Trust is on here, can they please advise us when the website will be updated. Everytime i go to it i cant read it for the cobwebs and tumbleweed.
Maybe they thought that by setting it up, it would run itself?
silverfox

Post by silverfox »

Just paid a visit to the B17 website.Pleasant surprise, it is up to date, and some very nice CAD there as well
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Horsetan wrote:Gresley for some is a bit like the Prophet Mohammed: anything that may be critical of him or deleterious to his memory is completely haram.
Couldn't agree more.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Attachments
Sir Nigel and Mallard.jpg
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

:lol: Good one! But I can't see a date on the photo of the clipping in the opening post. I guess you must have the actual newpaper, Kestrel.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Kestrel wrote:Did anyone notice, the date of the articles was April 1st?
I think everybody did, but how does this square with "jwalleans" above, which suggests that there was an intention to not duck the question :?: :lol:
silverfox

Post by silverfox »

The Gresley Society did the press release on Mar 9

I feel for the guys who have given good money, possibly because of the duck, and now feel that they are well and truly shafted.
I have written to the chairman,all i got back was the bog standard 'politicians' reply, and hoping i will reconsider my intent not to donate

I have advised him, 'When i see Lord Lucan on Shergar', or words to that effect
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

silverfox wrote:The Gresley Society did the press release on Mar 9

I feel for the guys who have given good money, possibly because of the duck, and now feel that they are well and truly shafted.
I have written to the chairman,all i got back was the bog standard 'politicians' reply....
They ducked the question.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »