Driver: Fred Hemington

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Haulier1976
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Driver: Fred Hemington

Post by Haulier1976 »

Hi

Can anyone out there help me please?
I have a wonderful picture postcard of Loco 4458 which states

4458 Kings Cross Loco Sheds
20th April 1939

Driver: F C Hemington, Kings Cross LNER Loco Dept, London N1

The driver was my grandfather, Frederick Charles, (although he cannot be clearly seen in the picture) who was born in approx 1900 (died approx 1947/48) and I understand that he undertook the runs to Norfolk? Where we assume he may have met my grandmother.

I have done some research on this particular locomotive and understand that it is not one of the ones that are still here with us today such as the 4468 (Mallard).

My Mother, his youngest daughter of 9 children was diagnosed with Alzhiemers just over 2 years ago and knows very little about her Father due to his early death and the rest of his family have not been forthcoming with anything over her lifetime but I would love to be able to give her some more information about him before its too late as she lost both parents at a very young age.

I am not sure if any other members of his family worked on the railways but would also be grateful for any information or where would be the best place to obtain this?.

Thank you
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Driver: Fred Hemington

Post by jwealleans »

Hallo there,

Loco 4458 was a C1 Atlantic. In their day they were the top express locomotives on the old GNR, until Gresley built the first A1 in 1922. The first example, No. 251, survives in the national collection and is I believe presently at Shildon.

These locomotives would very occasionally have worked into East Anglia, but would most commonly be seen in that area working what were known as the 'Beer Trains' to Cambridge. Most workings to that area originated at Liverpool Street rather than King's Cross.

Was the photo possibly taken to mark his elevation to driver? If he was a career railwayman he might have twenty or more years service and so could be approaching an age and level of experience where he'd be moving to that grade.

I can't tell you any more about 4458, but you may find more information in the LNER Staff magazine, which often published obituaries or notices of interest about staff. If he died in 1947 he may have been mentioned. That is available at the National Railway Museum at York or (I believe) on CD.
Haulier1976
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Haulier1976 »

Good afternoon

Thank you so much for your reply!

The assumption has been made that my grandfather always worked on the railways but unfortunately I cannot confirm this.
But I am going to speak to my only surviving uncle to try and find out some more information.
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

There was a Frederick Hemington living at St Pancras in 1911 as a bachelor in a boarding house; his occupation given as a carter and his age 35 which means that he was born in 1876 (in Southwark, Surrey). He could have been in railway service then.

He seems to have been the son of William Hemington and his wife Isabelle who lived with 5 older children at Park Street St Saviours in 1881 - all born Southwark.

Cannot find anything else about him either in the Census returns or in the LNER employee records.
Haulier1976
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Haulier1976 »

Good morning

Thank you for your help. I have some more information on my Grandfather which you may find interesting

I have spoken with my uncle, who has confirmed that my grandfather was a career railwayman, first as a fireman and then a driver. My uncle clearly remembers being picked up at Palmers Green with his sister Jill and going on the train with his father up to Hertford(shire) and that he always worked out of Kings Cross and not Liverpool Street. My grandfather did not fight in either of the wars, in the Great war he was too young and apparently he was exempt in the Second world war, he also used to move the munitions.

My uncle is sure that he worked/drove the Mallard 4468 and remembers as a young boy being in the cab of a train and cooking bacon and eggs on the shovel! From the family history done so far my grandfather came from a family of hedge cutters who originated from Winchmore Hill. He married Mabel Dixon in November of 1921 and went on to have 9 children ( 7 girls and 2 boys), the first being Sybil born in Jan 1922. I understand that my grandmother died in late 1942/early 1943 and my grandfather unfortunately committed suicide in 1947/48. As far as we know no other members of his family were railwayman.
Haulier1976
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Haulier1976 »

Further to my recent posting I have managed to obtain further updates on my Grandadfather
DOB 30/06/1900 - Winchmore Hill, Middsx
DOD 18/09/1948 - 52 Trent Gardens, Southgate. N14
He served in the Middsx Regiment as a Private G/105974, drafted 09/18 and served in the 5th battalion, which was a home service battalion. Discharged 04/19 with Silver War Badge due to sickness

This information was provided by a family member who is researching the family history, he also stated that he could not find any records on the LNER?

I would appreciate any information available.