New Barnet North Signalbox

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard, Tom F

StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: New Barnet North Signalbox

Post by StevieG » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:23 am

Mickey wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:45 pm
" .... and I have a vague feeling that when my train ran into Oakleigh Park station both the Up fast & Up slow line colour light 'starting signals' for New Barnet North Box were both showing red and I didn't recall seeing any trains running along the Up fast & Up slow lines between New Southgate and Oakleigh Park although I admit I could have missed any train on the Up fast & Up slow line while travelling through New Barnet tunnel I suppose?."
Mickey,
While Cemetery and Southgate boxes were still operational, New Barnet North was still working Absolute Block on all lines to the south of its signals, so its Up roads' Starters at Oakleigh Park [ then NB 502 (UFL) & 504 ] were 'section signals' and would always be at Danger unless cleared for a train that had been accepted by the next box towards KX that was staffed and open.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \

Mickey
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Mickey » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:36 am

StevieG wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:23 am
Mickey wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:45 pm
" .... and I have a vague feeling that when my train ran into Oakleigh Park station both the Up fast & Up slow line colour light 'starting signals' for New Barnet North Box were both showing red and I didn't recall seeing any trains running along the Up fast & Up slow lines between New Southgate and Oakleigh Park although I admit I could have missed any train on the Up fast & Up slow line while travelling through New Barnet tunnel I suppose?."
Mickey,
While Cemetery and Southgate boxes were still operational, New Barnet North was still working Absolute Block on all lines to the south of its signals, so its Up roads' Starters at Oakleigh Park [ then NB 502 (UFL) & 504 ] were 'section signals' and would always be at Danger unless cleared for a train that had been accepted by the next box towards KX that was staffed and open.
Yeah that's what I meant Stevie that both Cemetery & New Southgate both appeared to be 'switched out' because on passing both boxes all the Up & Down lines running signals were 'pulled off' and they both appeared to be 'switched out' and 'deserted' so it was probably safe to conclude that both boxes were closed but New Barnet North Box Up running lines starting or section signals (both colour light signals on the Up fast & Up slow lines situated at the south end of Oakleigh Park station on the Up fast line and about hundred yards further south on the Up slow line) were both at danger (showing a red aspect) and my train didn't appear to have been passed by any train running along either the Up fast or Up slow line but both Cemetery & New Southgate's Up fast & Up slow lines signals were all pulled off!!.

With a 8 miles block section between Finsbury Park No.3 & New Barnet North Box with 6 intermediate s/boxes being 'switched out' in between it's a wonder that the block bells would be heard in either Finsbury Park No.3 or New Barnet North Box possibly with the exception of a few 'dings and a few clicks' maybe being received on the block instruments in either box.

StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:30 am

Sorry Mickey.
Misinterpreted what you meant in the wording of that bit.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \

Mickey
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Mickey » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:00 pm

No problem Stevie sometimes it can get a bit complicated trying to explain and write down in a post certain aspects of the signalling now 50 years on.

Chime Whistle
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Chime Whistle » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:41 pm

Thanks for that explanation.Most interesting.

The JH diagram is dated 1932 and shows the layout after HW etc had closed.

I have a book with a picture(1938) of an A4 passing New Barnett North(near the gas works) just north of the station and there are two semaphore distants ,one for the main and and one for the goods line, which I think belong to Greenwood. I say that because the gas works would be approx where one would expect them to be and they match the structure outlined on JH's diagram. In addition, the picture shows two signal wires ,coming from the direction of Greenwood,which I imagine are for the two distants.