Railway Platelayers

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jocat293
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Railway Platelayers

Post by jocat293 »

I Wonder if someone could help me my great grandfather was a railway platelayer on the 1881 census in Walkeringham Nottingham and the 1891 census in Haxey Lincolnshire. Would he have been employed for a company like LNER Thank you
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Railway Platelayers

Post by richard »

The LNER formed in 1923, so strictly speaking no. But the Great Central Railway / Manchester Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway is a possibility - this became a constituent of the LNER.

Here are our pages on the GCR (originally MS&LR):

http://www.lner.info/co/GCR/
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
WTTReprinter
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by WTTReprinter »

Considering the year and the location, I think it probable he would have been in the employ of the Great Eastern / Great Northern Joint line as Walkeringham & Haxey were both on that route.
People tended to live in the area they worked: only now is the great 'commute' normal!
Thanks.
WTT Reprinter
http://wttreprints.uk/
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by swhite01 »

The Great Northern Railway Society has been compiling lists of GNR workers over the recent years, if you access our website www.gnrsociety.com there is a page with society contacts for genealogy.

I hope this is of help,

Steve White - GNRS Exhibitions Officer-South

Www.gnrsociety.com
Josephdurham
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Josephdurham »

Can anyone help me still working on the railway after 42 years followed in my fathers footsteps and believe he had 44 years service only to be broken by serving in the Second World War My brothers birth certificate says dad was a platlayer on LNER in 1947 I would love to find out if he had 44 years service or not is there anyway I can find out. Another story my mother also was a signalwoman and this is were she and my Dad met I believe on the old Wingate line at a signal box at pess pool near Haswell County Durham any information would be kindly received my mother’s name was Wilson
GNR Genealogist
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by GNR Genealogist »

As Steve mentioned above, the GRN Society have a massive project under way building a database of men who worked for the GNR. I am one of the Genealogy Officers and will try and do some research for you, although there is little likelihood of finding any records for him.

During the Blitz, in May 1941, King’s Cross Station was bombed and the vast majority of GNR records were destroyed.

You can e-mail me at genealogy@gnrsociety.com and I will see what I can do.

David Ingleby
Genealogy Officer
Great Northern Railway Society
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

jocat293 wrote: Tue May 10, 2016 4:55 pm I Wonder if someone could help me my great grandfather was a railway platelayer on the 1881 census in Walkeringham Nottingham and the 1891 census in Haxey Lincolnshire. Would he have been employed for a company like LNER Thank you
A full name would be helpful... if on the GN & GE Joint Line there's also the GER Magazine that could be searched.