William Walker Killed by Train Norton Junction

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

xantia
NER Y7 0-4-0T

William Walker Killed by Train Norton Junction

Post by xantia »

Hi My Gt Grandfather x 4 William Walker was an Inspector of Masons /surfaceman on the LNER he was Knocked down and severly Injured On The Line Near Norton Junction/ Stockton On Tees , He was Run over and cut On His leg and Head his Leg was that bad it had to be amputated he died 3 days later on 31 Oct 1888,I have this info from the Stockton Herald dated 3 Nov 1888 would there be any more info on this in the LNER Records and where would they be London ? Stockton any help appreciated Regards Dave
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The LNER wasn't formed until 1923, so it was probably on the NER (North Eastern Railway).

The National Railway Museum at York would be worth a look. They've just been rebuilding their archives to make them more publically available (if not open yet, then soon will be). Also the Ken Hoole Archive Centre is full of NER stuff.
A lot of the company employee records ended up with the Public Records Office in London (I believe that has since been renamed).

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia