Frank Brandon Hatfield No.1

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

Frank Brandon Hatfield No.1

Post by Mickey »

Frank Brandon was a regular signalman at Hatfield No.1 (box) during the early 1970s and was at the box at the time of it's closure in late May 1973 when he retired. I don't know Frank's railway history but I presume he had been a signalman for a number of years maybe atleast since the end of WW2 and quite possibly from an earlier era from in the 1930s(?) I am also guessing that he may have been a regular signalman at Hatfield No.1 from an earlier time during the 1960s because Alan 'pedler' Palmer who was a regular signalman at Welwyn Garden City (box) during the mid/late 1960s & 1970s appeared to know Frank quite well and Alan himself had also been a regular signalman at Hatfield No.1 at sometime during the early 1960s. I knew of Frank when I was a telegraph lad at Welwyn Garden City (box) during 1972-73 but I didn't know him personally, also I believe Frank's son may have come on the railway sometime during the 1970s but i am not totally sure about that?.

Mickey
Dave Cockle
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Frank Brandon Hatfield No.1

Post by Dave Cockle »

Micky,

there was a John Brandon working in train planning at Hertford House (Former Wagn & FCC Headquarters near Old Street). Im pretty sure he was Frank's son. John has now retired and lives down in Kent.
Mickey

Re: Frank Brandon Hatfield No.1

Post by Mickey »

Dave Cockle wrote:Micky,

there was a John Brandon working in train planning at Hertford House (Former Wagn & FCC Headquarters near Old Street). Im pretty sure he was Frank's son. John has now retired and lives down in Kent.
Ok Dave, I never knew Frank's son (and to be honest I didn't really know Frank either although I mite have spoken to him a few times on the circuit phone?) but as previously posted I believe I heard that his son had or was coming on the railway back in early 1973.

The signalling at Hatfield No.1 during the 1972-73 period.

Hatfield No.1 was a shadow of it's former self by 1972-73 and from memory it was just 4 straight running lines passed the box (on a curve in reality) although there was still a Up slow to Up fast line 'turn out' just beyond the box but not much else by then. It was still Absolute block working with Hatfield No.2 & Marshmoor boxes either side of Hatfield No.1 but after Marshmoor closed in November 1972 it was then TCB on all 4 running lines southwards with Potters Bar (box) until Hatfield No.1 was it's self closed in late May 1973 when the new multi-aspect colour light signalling was fully commissioned in the Hatfield area being controlled from a temporary NX panel in Hatfield No.2 (box) until April 1974.

Mickey