Thomas Grey The Border Poet Tweedmouth

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

NorfolkGrey68
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Thomas Grey The Border Poet Tweedmouth

Post by NorfolkGrey68 »

Tom
Thanks for getting in touch.
Are you living in the Berwick region? Are there still many Greys in the Berwick region?
Looking forward to finding out about other parts of the Grey family and will be in touch once Christmas is behind us.
Take care and have a happy Christmas.
Best Wishes
David
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

dont hold your collective breaths but i may have unearthed some more of Thomas Greys work. They originate from a former Tweedmouth mans collection and are hand written. can anyone on here recognise Thomas Greys handwriting.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Glenwrightgrey66
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Glenwrightgrey66 »

Hello everyone,
My name is Janette Glenwright Grey and am one of Thomas Grey's great-granddaughters. My middle name is the surname of Thomas' wife. We are the branch of the Greys that settled in York with the railways. My dad was also called Thomas Grey and he grew up in Berwick.
David, in your forum, has been an amazing help with our research.
Here is a picture of my sister Suzy (Susan Brown, nee Grey) with the poetry book, 'Poems on the Great War by Thomas Grey' that I helped her published in 2015 to mark WW1. She also made a Wikipedia page about 'Thomas Grey the Border Poet'.

There are a 101 poems in the book that we typed out, after finding them in the Berwick Advertiser. (We still have a plethora of poems about other subjects that we found.) We even used the same printers as Thomas did for 'Musings on a Footplate'. We are very proud to have such a man in our family.
We only found out how great our great-granddad was in recent times and we want to do so much more to get his poetry on the national curriculum and just out there for all to enjoy.
Sadly, Suzy has lost her battle with cancer and we pray she will keep going another couple of months. This is where I need your help or advise. We aim to get the book on Amazon first of all. You are very welcome to a copy. Then we want it on the radio and any where that is marking the end of the Great War. Time is of the essence.
I feel so in awe that there is this forum going on and I fell upon you by accident. We need to share what we have to build up a profile and get Thomas Grey as well known as the other famous war poets such as Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon.
I feel honoured to be a part of you.
Kindest regards,
Jan
Glenwrightgrey66
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Glenwrightgrey66 »

Hello again,
I meant to say, Pauline, about the poem for Queen Alexandra. We have the actual letter from the Queen's lady in-waiting saying thank you for the poem!
It's exciting!
Regards
Jan
NorfolkGrey68
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by NorfolkGrey68 »

Hi Jan
Very sorry to hear the sad news about Suzy - you both have done a great job in promoting Thomas as an influential poet on the Great War. I was grateful for a copy of the book of Thomas' poems signed by Suzy! I thoroughly enjoyed it as well as his poem quoted earlier in this thread regarding the Convenience on Tweedmouth Dock!!
Unfortunately I hadn't been monitoring this LNER thread so hadn't seen your entry in August this year until now. I'm currently taking advantage of the warmer Spanish weather and will be back in the UK probably in January.
In the meantime, I do hope that Suzy and yourself were able to achieve those objectives.
Wishing you all the very best
David
NorfolkGrey68
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by NorfolkGrey68 »

The Grey's,
It is with great sadness that I have to inform all that Doreen Saggars, granddaughter of Thomas Grey, The Border Poet and daughter of Samuel Leggett/Jean Grey passed away on 28th April 2020. Doreen passed away suddenly of a heart attack at the home of her daughter, Roberta, where she had been staying during during the current lock down; they passed a very happy last few weeks together.
Doreen was 89 years old and I suspect the last of her Grey generation.
Message for Jan: you met Doreen at the reunion organised by Susan near York. Hope you are keeping well.
Regards
David Grey