Kings Cross centenary 1952

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

peter s
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Kings Cross centenary 1952

Post by peter s »

looking for information/film of BBC T.V. interview for the Kings Cross centenary in Oct.1952.

My grandfather was interviewed and I have copy of transcript if anyone is interested.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

It could be interesting - how long is it?

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
peter s
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by peter s »

Hi, Richard,

The transcript comprises 2 (cut ) foolscap sheets, plus a diagram of a
'Milk Yard sequence.'

The copy I have is already a photo(?)copy and not a very good one, at that. Presumably made at the time.

I can try to make a readable copy of it if you would like me to.

Do you have any suggestions as to where I can find out if the B.B.C film still exists?

Regards,
Peter S.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Is it something that could be typed in?

It sounds like scanning it would result in large image files - fine for my mailbox, but not really as a general download on this website.

For the film archive - have you tried BBC Archives? As well as possibly still having it, they probably have a catalogue and can find out if it was kept, was lost, or is in a vault somewhere.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
peter s
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by peter s »

Hi, Richard,

I now have a photocopy of the transcript which is actually clearer than the 'original.
However, on reading it through, I think it would be of limited interest to anybody other than someone who was involved in the project.

If you would like me to send it in the post to you, though, I would be pleased to do so. You probably realise by now that I live in London, England.

Many thanks for the suggestion of how I might obtain a copy of the film. I will follow it through and let you know if I have any luck.

Regards and Happy Christmas/new year,

Peter Smith.
Grandson of Hopkin Smith, the guard who is featured in the film.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I'm in Texas, so that could be a hassle to mail. If you don't think it will be of general interest, then you can keep the copy for yourself.

Merry Christmas,

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia