Robert Charlton Stationmaster at Bensham, Gateshead. Help Required

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

paulthompson
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Robert Charlton Stationmaster at Bensham, Gateshead. Help Required

Post by paulthompson »

Hi,
Robert Charlton married my Great Aunt Maria Thompson January 1923 at Gateshead. The marriage certificate states his occupation as Station Master and address as Station house, Bensham, Gateshead. I have an address for them in 1935 at Denewell Avenue, Low Fell, Gateshead and he is down as Station Master. After that nothing. Would anyone out there have records of where he was a station master or if he stayed at Bensham. The 1911 census has his occupation as signalman NE Railway. His father Ralph Charlton in the 1891 & 1901 census is listed as railway engine driver, obviously for the NE Railway as they lived in South Shields. Any information I would be so grateful.
Many thanks, Paul Thompson
paulthompson
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Robert Charlton Stationmaster at Bensham, Gateshead. Help Required

Post by paulthompson »

I'm replying back to myself as I have found the information that I was after. I found a newspaper Report on his death February 25, 1937 - The Berwick Advertiser
District Signalling Inspector collapsed and died on the permanent way outside Newcastle Central Station on Sunday. He was Robert Charlton, Mayfair Road, West Jesmond. He was about 56,' and was duty in connection with operations on the High Level Bridge.
Seemingly he was well known at Berwick were he had worked as a relief in the area.
Paul Thompson
William Thorpe
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Re: Robert Charlton Stationmaster at Bensham, Gateshead. Help Required

Post by William Thorpe »

There is a short entry concerning Robert Charlton's death on page 302 in the May 1937 issue of the LNER Magazine, including a head and shoulders image. Additional info states he had 39 years railway service. I found this on the GE society CD of the LNER magazine -a worthwhile addition to researching railway family .

Dave